New monitor, need information on IPS panels

By yRaz
Dec 23, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I just bought a new monitor(being shipped now) and I have a slight concern about response time. It is an E-IPS panel with a 14ms response time. I game a lot, but my main concern is color accuracy and black levels. I am wondering how much ghosting to expect. I have read other places that even though something might say 2-5ms GTG, that it may still have a response time of 10-15ms. I don't think the ghosting will bother me, I just want to know what to expect. From what I have read this monitor will do everything I need it to do as far as photo editing and graphic design.

I have read that IPS and PVA panels are rated differently in their response times from TN or TFT panels. The TN's and TFT's rating measure a grey-to-grey response and my IPS panel is rate a full black-to-white.

The monitor is the ViewSonic VP2365wb
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116421

I have owned a TN panel in my 245BW and I currently have a TFT in my Hanns G HW191A. I have some experience with with the Apple Cinema displays, I don't know if they have PVA or IPS panels, but I didn't notice any ghosting. I have also used one of the Asus LEDLCD monitors, I didn't like it at all.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,451   +135

The ViewSonics specs look good, and it should perform fine. I have a SyncMaster 245bw monitor, and I love it
  3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,004   +710

Well, since TN panels have nothing much to offer other than speed, they optimize that with the G to G spec. Response time such as the 10 to 14 Ms relating to your IPS monitor are more than likely the white to black specs you're aware of. I have seen both G to G and black to white associated with the same monitor, and the specs of your new panel are probably on the order of 6 to 8 ms G to G.

What I consider the only problem with this, (and my similarly specificationed Dell), is the 300 nit brightness. They are a bit dull, especially when compared to a 24" HP 16:10 IPS I have sitting next to it, with a 400 nit brightness. Don't get me wrong, it's bright enough, but still I'd like a bit more pop from it.

I believe that the panel itself is probably grown by LG, and rebranded by several makers, including Dell. There are at least 3 monitors released fairly recently, based on the 23" 1920 X 1080 16:9 panel, either classified as "E-IPS" or "H-IPS".

The glory that is an IPS screen, is the beauty of such a monitor being able to make human skin, appear as human skin. Simply said, but no mean feat, electronically.

Incidentally, the term "TFT" stands for "thin film transistor". So, a TN panel is also a TFT panel, it's not really two different things.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.