New Motherboard Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trafficflow

Need some help with a mobo install.The motherboard is a Dell 170L. I am doing this at no cost for practice. The problem I am having is after the boot up. When it
tries to load Xp it comes up with a blue screen saying I need to run a check disk. How do I get to where I have a Dos prompt to run the chdisk?
All the componets are reconized in the bios. I have P4 3.0 ghz Northwood Cpu.
1/2 gig ram, 2 hardrives,dvd and a cd burner. It appears all the parts are working.
I am trying to run this at 800 fsb.Can somebody tell me how to run the chdisk or what may be going on. Thanks

Do you have an Oem windows disc or the one that came with the system originaly you can try running windows repair from it which would normaly be done by chkdisk anyway.

Motherboard Install

Need more help. I had just started to run the repair when I had a issue with the cpu fan. The fan tries to turn when booting up but then it stops.The computer will still boot up and stop at the check disk screen.The fan was working the night before.Also when it does try to start the fan is trying to turn then it stops. I used my multimeter and tried starting the puter and it looked like I was getting 7 volts then the voltage would go away.I do not want to run to long hile testing. Let me know if there is more quesstions

Motherboard Install (Help)

Does anybody have any ideas? I have no idea how to begin. This was all working when this happened.

NEED HELP TRAFFICFLOW

One question, is this a fresh installation of WinXP onto the computer.

What i can say is that it can be that this WinXP installation was installed when it was in a different computer which is a possibility...

XP installations are bound to the motherboard, so based from my experiences, you DO get a blue screen when throwing in harddisks from another computer.

About the fan, i think its likely that the fan controller on the board is stuffed. Test with a different fan if you have one or just give up on the board honestly. If it won't start the fan, even if you get a working windows its not going to be of much use....

Motherboard Install

I still want to use the board because it appears to be good otherwise. Can I install a fan and hook on the psu? I guess the fan will run llthe time. What do you all think? Thanks

hmmm... i guess you could do that if you had the correct header converters... only problem being that the fan will run at 100% all the time and i'd be a noisy mother... :X

I found a fan controller on Newegg that you can put in empty bay or put one inside.I need to do some more troubleshooting to see why the voltage comes on then goes back off after the boot. Maybe it is turning the computer back off because the cpu is getting to hot.I need to narrow it down somehow. How long can the cpu run hot? Thanks

You see, i'm not even so sure whether you can connect the CPU fan to the fan controller, because last i checked, normal fans only used a 2 pin header or a 3 pin header and as i remembered a CPU fan uses a 4 pin header or so...

I might be mistakened, but what happens when the CPU overheats is that your system will be forced shut. Then you gotta leave it to cool off.

Try running programs like CoreTemp just before the system dies on you. you might be able to take a sneak peak at the temps. Or if you are familiar with moving around in the bios, it should also tell you the temperatures.

I don't think it'd work without some special cabling so... good luck on that. I'd be glad to help if anything else happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back