New motherboard/memory/cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all
I'm about to install a asus a7n8x/e-deluxe board, athlon XP 3200 barton and 1GB of pc3200 400ddr dram. I think that all matches up ok as fsb's all match etc.
BUT, am I likely to experience any problems by just swopping these new components over and restarting win home XP SP2.
I'm expecting a few device driver probs but ! is there anything I can do to minimise problems?
Will XP just load it all up for me ?

Your help before it all arrives on Monday would be great.

It sounds like your saying you are going to use your old Hdd and try to boot to Windows.
If this is what you mean ,Don't.
It would be better to do a clean install on a fresh formatted drive .
I hope you have backed up all your data for a easy recovery of it.

Ohhh

I do have two ata133 hard discs installed, one with the os and most of the other software and one that I just keep for storing work.
Could I format the storageone in situ before I upgrade and then just swop them over during the upgrade ?

Think I replied to myself.
I have 2 HDD's installed. One with XP and other Software and one with just pics and work.
Could I format the second HDD in situ B4 the upgrade and then just swop it over to the primary IDE when I do the upgrade ?
The second HDD is actually larger so this would maybe a good idea I think.

On a final note, got a raptorcool for cpu already, would something like a hiper typr r 480w silent psu be a good idea as well ?

Now you have a plan .Move whatever data you want to keep from the storage HDD transfer it to the OS one .
Download all the latest Drivers,firmware ,etc.
Swap the drives (Don't forget to change Master /Slave designation not Cable select)Partition and format >Reload Windows> update >
Once you have your system as you like it Clean up the old OS Hdd and prepare it for Data etc.
Your Laughing!

Oh what a star you are. I would have probably ploughed into it and ended up with a nice pile of inert metal and plastic with nothing doing.

Only problem is I'm now remembering those times past when "reformat" and reload OS was the only option. Seem to remember it took days to get everything loaded again, and it never quite seems the same does it?
Never mind onwards and upwards.
Help greatly appreciated.

Glad to be of service.You are right about all the work to reload . Those days are long gone for me .
When you do this job think about this .Partition your new OS drive 1. around 8-10 gigs 2.10-12 gig the rest3. in last partition.
Partition the Slave split #4 ,40 gigs and #5 the rest .
(I am just giving examples on the sizes you should do what is best for you.
Now 1. O/S and system essentials eg. firewall,anti virus
2.Programs
3. some type of data
4.Use Drive image /Ghost for a drive copy of 1.&2.
5. more data

My system is similar, any serious problems You can format and reload your clean install with programs in 45min or less ,then keep working .
Think about it .

Perhaps a good idea

I've heard others talk of setting up the OS in it's own partition. Is that for improved performance as well? Though never of doing it your way ! sounds good.

While I have your ear, I see many issues on this forum regarding Asus a7n8x e-deluxe boards. With my new athlon xp3200 cpu and pc3200 400 dram should I be concerned or are these just cases of incorrect cpu and ram being used.

I've tried to research carefully these three items, and each item seems to recommend the specs of the others. They all seem to be FSB 400 compatible. The memory is caming as a matched pair of 512's. With the humongus cpu heatsink I have now got and a new higher powered PSU I'm hoping for success.

At least then I maybe able to do some video editing with our new camcorder.

Hi Thanks for input.
Your suggestion does have appeal, though after some thought I think I'd go for a clean install, if it's only to enjoy a couple of hours of that "newly installed OS zip" before the task bar fills up and it all slows down again.

Cheers anyway, I've kept your info on the link.

Didou;
I took a look at that site.It is good information to know and I would use it only if "I had to"
It looks like it could be as much work as a clean install, but possibly leave a bunch of old stuff around?
I guess my skepticism is born out of experiences with a geechy O/S that is so sensitive.

Pan... Quote
"..While I have your ear, I see many issues on this forum regarding Asus a7n8x e-deluxe boards. With my new athlon xp3200 cpu and pc3200 400 dram should I be concerned or are these just cases of incorrect cpu and ram being used."

I have noticed that also, and you might want to check a couple more Forums to see how widespread this is, and check Asus' see how much trouble shooting info is listed, that is partly how I judge any new tech for myself.
I am an Intel man so I have no direct experience with what is happening with it. Asus is a reputable company , and although I realize they can make mistakes,it could just be a coincidence combined with the current popularity of that board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back