New motherboard problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, my old motherboard died so a friend gave me a one to replace it. I don't know a whole lot about building computers so please bear with me. Ok so I installed the new MB (Pcchips Akonii P4N7050), first off it is a 24 pin while my power supply is a 20+4 pin, it was a tight fit. I believe I got all the front panel wires connected right (no manual, found one online that was close). After plugging it up the cpu fan came on, which shouldn't happen right? Anyway I hit the power switch and nothing happened. I tried moving the power switch wires to different pins with no luck. I tried reversing the connections thinking maybe I had the positive and negitive wrong, still nothing. Well i'm not sure what else to say here so please let me know what other info is needed. Thank you.

Jonathan

Can you give us a few details regarding the specifications of your PC (CPU, RAM, video card, etc.).

PC Specs

AKONii P4N7050 Motherboard
Dual Core E2200 2.20GHz
(1) 2 gig Crucial
Western Digital 160 & 320 gig
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Geforce 7600 GT

Did you use the stand-offs before putting in the mobo? Looks like you might have shorted something. When you hit the power switch, does your motherboard LED come on?

Hang on a second.

You said the motherboard requires a 24 (atx) + 4 (cpu) pin connector and you only have a 20 + 4 pin connector.
Your 'tight fit', to me it sounds like you've stuffed your 20 (atx) + 4 (cpu) pin into the ATX socket. Move the 4 pin connector into the correct socket, hope you haven't done any damage.

I don't understand. The motherboard has a 24 pin connection and the power supply has a 20+4. So I only needed to put the 20 in the 24? There is another 4 pin that goes in near the cpu, the 4 pin i'm talking about was connected to the 20 pin but wasn't needed on my old motherboard.

Yes that's what I'm saying.
The new separate 4 pin connector is for the CPU - sometimes referred to as a P4 connector. The colour of the wires should be 2 black (ground) and 2 (12v) yellow.

The extra 4 pins in the ATX connector are for the ATX 2.0 specification. These 4 pins should contain black (ground), yellow (12v), orange (3.3v), red (5v).
Sometimes the motherboard will work without them, but you'd be wise to get a newer PSU.
By putting the wrong connector into the ATX slot you may have damaged the motherboard.

jbjackson69 said:
There is another 4 pin that goes in near the cpu, the 4 pin i'm talking about was connected to the 20 pin but wasn't needed on my old motherboard.

@ seanc - I think you're getting it wrong here. He connected them just fine.

For the power switch (and reset switch, for that matter) the polarity doesn't really matter. If you are sure you have the switch connected to the right pins, then the problem could be a bad motherboard.

unplug all switches of the motherbord, hard drives, all peripherals connected and use a tiny piece of metal to make contact between the 2 pins of power switch onto your motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back