New old motherboard and CPU

bigbrat41

Read a whole bunch of posts and they seem to apply to MORE and newer than the latest.

I have a different problem. I have an IDEI rig with an old Duron processer and SD (?) memory.

Would like to udpate motherboard, CPU and memory ( on a budget ) but do not need the latest/greatest/fastest.
Looking at Newegg and TigerDirect and E-bay has confused me.

Features desired
- DDR ram
-multiple USB (so I can add to front)
-compatible with an ATX case and IDEI capabilities
- on board video/graphics

not much else matters on the rig

any recommendations PLEASE

Thank you in advance for your time and effort

New OLDER

should add
-running XP
-occasional use rig (data storage, burn CD or DVD )
-no heavy processer demands

-would like Win' 7 capabilities should my brain ever die and I decide to switch this box

The only issue here would be, there are very, very few modern boards with more than one IDE buss. (one socket, 2 devices).

That can be remedied by buying SATA DVD burners, which are running about $19.00 when Newegg has them on sale.

You need to put, "DDR RAM" completely out of your head. We're on DDR3, and that will be pretty much all you're going to find on an up to date board.

Either a Matx or ATX board will fit an ATX case.

Gigabyte boards are the big thing nowadays. For onboard graphics in Intel Socket LGA775, I would checkout G31 chipset boards, better still G41 chipset, as some of these have HDMI out for your LCD TV. (This is Intel last generation). (Many, if not all of these are DDR2)

For this generation Intel (w/integrated graphics) it's an easy choice, CPU Core 13-540, for board, Gigabyte H55 chipset. (DDR3 RAM). Here again, you can get boards with HDMI out.

Since you already are running AMD, and might want to continue doing so, let me apologize, I know nothing about them.

Trust me, if you patient, there will be plenty of AMD fanbois lurking about, ready to tell you I know nothing at all, and they'll point you toward an AMD build.

I think I'd ignore Ebay, simply because Newegg is so incredibly reliable.

Ooooh, I love that pretty blue GSkill RAM! I have 4GBs of it in my i3-530 box. It runs like the wind, only electronically, and much faster

you didn't give a budget, but if you want to stay with AMD, the MB has room for 2 PETA devices, HDMI output, and Radeon HD 4200 IGP.
I prithee tell me, what exactly is a "PETA" device? I thought ""PETA" meant "People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals". Well either that or something dirty. :rolleyes:

Ooooh, I love that pretty blue GSkill RAM! I have 4GBs of it in my i3-530 box. It runs like the wind, only electronically, and much faster

I prithee tell me, what exactly is a "PETA" device? I thought ""PETA" meant "People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals". Well either that or something dirty. :rolleyes:

ooops...fixed
I can come up with half a dozen dirty ones :)

I guess I should say that Asus makes pretty good motherboards also. This to avert possible contention and or confusion.

Red, I think the system that is being upgraded may have more than 2 IDE drives. What I mentioned in my original post is, that you can't find boards anymore with 2 PATA >>sockets<<. (For a total of 4 IDE devices). No sure of anything really though.

Red, I think the system that is being upgraded may have more than 2 IDE drives. What I mentioned in my original post is, that you can't find boards anymore with 2 PATA >>sockets<<. (For a total of 4 IDE devices). No sure of anything really though.

I saw that, and you are correct. You can only get (on some boards) 1 IDE interface for a total of two devices. They are just not supporting more than two anymore. So he is just going to have to update his storage/optical ect beyond the two IDE devices.
Unless he wants to go EBAY hunting and find some retro MB's

Back