"New" option missing in Context Menu in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceCrime

In windows explorer left panel with all the folder displayed, the "new" folder create option is missing in the context menu when right clicking any file folder. How do I restore this?
I searched the web but couldn't find a solution for XP but only for Vista.

Thanks.
Jay.

I've had SP3 for a while now.

This glitch just happened couple days ago and I did not install any new programs lately.

I've also scanned twice NAV & Malware Bytes, no viral activity.

Hmmm.. well, you might also try doing a System Restore to see if you can restore to a point with the old still working registry settings.

Well system restore was likely my last resort but do you think if someone gave me their copy of an exported registry setting for that specific area, will it fix it?

In regedit highlight the explorer folder in this path and right-click to export:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\

I'm running XP SP3.

Why a last resort? It's not complicated and you can undo the restoration if you don't like the results.

The new user profile is something I'd try, but since I have only one profile in the PC I use, hence as administrator, will this be any problem? As I am creating a new profile, can there be two administrator simultaneously?

1. When you create a new user account, note you can the check box to assign the new userid either Adminstrator or Limited User rights
2. So while you can only have one userid named Administrator you can still have any number of userids that are assigned Administrative rights (which is what you mean)

/* edit /
p.s. as mailpup also points out, doing a sytem restore shouldn't be a big issue either if needed

I'd agree with the guys above - just do a system restore to a point when it was working properly. You don't lose any data and it's probably safer than messing around with the registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back