New PC booting problem: "hicups" please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
it was my first time buliding the PC, as far as i can tell i've plugged everything in correctly.

the problem i have is that when i boot the pc, the pc would start (ie fans and everything will be turning) then after about 2 seconds, the fans will turn off, even the power supply fan, however there are solid red and green lights on the motherboard; then without me doing anything, the pc will reboot itself automatically, and then the samething would happen...it would keep doing this for 4 or 5 times, then the pc would stay on, and everything was fine, the lights on the motherboards are off as well.

once the pc turns on, i checked the temperature in bios, system temp remains around 32c and cpu temp ramains around 29c after i leave the pc on for half an hour or so.

the voltages are all higher than normal tho, every voltage is about 0.1 higher than normal voltage noted in the bios screen

pleaes help!

the spec is:
Gigabyte EP35 DS3L mobo
intel core2duo e8400 cpu
evga 8800gt 512mb video card
ocz 4gb ddr2 ram
corsair TX 650w psu
generic dvd burner
generic harddrive

Do you have all the power supply wires plugged in properly to the motherboard? Especially the connector near the CPU? Also, the motherboard may be shorting to the case

Tmagic650 said:
Do you have all the power supply wires plugged in properly to the motherboard? Especially the connector near the CPU? Also, the motherboard may be shorting to the case

thanks for replying

the motherboard is raised by pins, it's not shorting to the case

the power supply wires are plugged in correctly, i just double checked

"the motherboard is raised by pins, it's not shorting to the case"...

If you have an extra brass standoff under the motherboard, this extra standoff can short the case to the motherboard. Make sure that you only have standoffs under each hole in the motherboard, and no more. If all else fails, run the motherboard outside the case and see if the system runs more stable

Tmagic650 said:
"the motherboard is raised by pins, it's not shorting to the case"...

If you have an extra brass standoff under the motherboard, this extra standoff can short the case to the motherboard. Make sure that you only have standoffs under each hole in the motherboard, and no more. If all else fails, run the motherboard outside the case and see if the system runs more stable

shoot, good point, let me check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back