New PC build for brother

xcylent

Hey TechSpot crew!
long time no see ;)

but anyway, my brother wants a new computer, so I offered to build him one.
the parts he chose are listed below.
the computer will be used for everyday school stuff, and some moderate gaming. he wants to spend less than $900 AUD preferably.
please keep in mind that we live in Queensland, Australia. so newegg or tigerdirect is not an option unfortunately :/
I will be buying my parts from
www.MSY.com.au
and
www.umart.com.au

Here's the parts:
I think they're compatible and the performance should be decent, but I'd appreciate if I had any input from you. cheers.

[FONT=Calibri]Case: CoolerMaster Storm Enforcer (SGC-1000) - $93 (MSY)[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]CPU: AMD FX-6100 - $145 (MSY)[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Graphics Card: Gainward GTX 560 - $152 (MSY)[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda - $75 (MSY)[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]RAM: G Skill 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1600Mhz PC12800 RL 9-9-9-24(CL9D-8GBRL) - $59 (UMART)[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Motherboard: AsRock 990FX-Extreme 3 - $96 (MSY)[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Optical Drive: Samsung 22X DVDRW Black SATA (SH-S223C-BL) - $19 (UMART)[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Power Supply: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W - $69 (UMART)[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Monitor: LG E2211T - $126 (MSY)Keyboard & Mouse: Logitech MK260 - $24 (UMART)[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]TOTAL: $858[/FONT]

That power supply should be fine, but know that you are paying more for the fatal1ty brand. Anything from Antec or Silverstone or Seasonic, 500W or more, will last longer and perform better and cleaner. But if you like the branding, and otherwise don't care, it should be fine.

Looks good to me. My GTX 550 Ti Superclocked runs every game I throw at it on my Pentium 4 3.4GHz single core dinosaur with 4 GB DDR3 1333 running at 800 MHz because of the FSB speed, so you should have no problems at all with 6 fast cores and 8 GB of RAM running at 1600MHz plus a faster video card.

Maybe you could get a cheaper case and squeeze in an SSD for your budget, it will make a huge difference for general PC use.

Back