New PC components compatibility and help

Status
Not open for further replies.

riffmaker

Hi
My dad wants to build new PC and asked me to pick components for him.
I nned your opinion about chosen components, if there are some known compatibility issues and if the components are good...The PC will be used mostly for office work, CAD drawing and playing Battlefield 2 online :) It is aimed for good price-for-performence ratio manly...

I picked these components:
mobo: Asus P5Q SE
cpu: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 (with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro fan)
rams: Corsair Twinx Dominator DDR2 1066Mhz Cl 5-5-5-15 2x1024MB (paired)
gfx: Asus GeForce EN9800GTX

I also need a suggestion for graphic card. It should be good enough for playing games, with cost up to 100 euro / 130 dollars

Thanks very much for your help and time ;)

HI riff,
what OS will you be using? if your going to be running CAD, you might want to consider more than 2gb of ram . and you already have a vga on there???

Thanks for replies.
I'm not sure if I stated myself clearly. By CAD drawing I meant simple 2D technical drawings of buildings (sorry, I don't know exact english word, blueprint maybe? ) not any extensive 3D modeling or such...Now he has 2.6GHz Celeron with 1 Gig of ram and the drawing software he uses works fine, but some component is misbehaving (mobo imo). Do you think that much ram and cpu power is needed?

The OS will be Win XP.
He decided for MSI GeForce N250GTS 512MB...

Ah, in that case the components you have chosen will be fine. Celerons are rubbish for anything except for PCs that are used for tasks like surfing the internet or listening to music. And 2GB of RAM is recommended as a minimum. Your dad should see a major performance boost with the new parts.

As for the video card, if Battlefield 2 is the only thing he will play, get a 9600GT instead of the GTS 250. It should be able to handle the game with ease, and the extra power of the GTS 250 will just be wasted IMO. However, if he wants a better card that can play other newer games too, I recommend the HD 4770. It is cheaper than the GTS 250 and only about 10% slower at most.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about, it used to be my pc... :)

Yes, he plays only BF2 and I don't think it is gonna change :D but he promised my brother he can take the graphic card after he enjoys it :) And my brother is extensive gamer so he need powerful gxf card...Do you think it is powerful enough to handle latest games?

The HD 4770 can handle the latest games with ease. It is a fantastic card, but a tad difficult to find since it's out of stock everywhere (in the USA that is).

Where are you located BTW?

I'm in Slovakia. But same here... The 250GTS is on the stock, so I'm gonna stick with it.
Ok, thank you very much for your help:)

Great. But do remember to get a PSU that is powerful enough; skimping on the PSU usually ensures a very short component\system lifespan.

Curiously good choices, maybe you didn't need too much help after all.

rams: Corsair Twinx Dominator DDR2 1066Mhz Cl 5-5-5-15 2x1024MB (paired)
Aside from getting 4gb, the Corsair Dominator is not the best RAM price to performance wise, I think it best to just stay away from the if possible, unless they are comparable in price.

I built my own computer some time ago and people on this forum helped me very much, so I got some skills :p

I got these RAMs and I am satisfied. What do you suggest?

The Corsair Dominator series is very good RAM, but is generally more expensive, I would go with 4gb of similar RAM from OCZ, Corsair (like their cheaper XMS series), or Crucial, there are some other good ones too, but I wouldn't pay too much for RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back