New PC, first time builder, no POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisIVX

Hi all.
I got all my parts today. Finally finished building it and there's nothing on the monitor when the magic button gets pressed. The fans go round, and lights are on. There is no beeping.

I Tried connecting the graphics card toanother PCI-E slot, and then unplugging everything except the CPU, outside the case on a cardboard box, and still no posting or beeping (with or without the video card).

The system is as follows:
CPU: Intel Core 2 E8500
Motherboard: Asus P5N-T Deluxe
PSU: Corsair 750W TX
Video: Asus GTX 280

My fairly-in-the-know friend suggests testing the PSU first, but I have no way to do that (no multimeter or replacement PSU). Plus, Corsair are supposed to be brilliantly reliable, right?

I have read another post or two about this problem, and so tried inspecting the socket pins by eye, and noticed (maybe it matters, maybe not) that two to three of them near the middle at one side looked like they had something white on them. I tried (very!) gently poking with a crafting knife to see if it'd come off but to no avail. Could this white-ness be a problem?

Look 3 rows up, near the bottom.

Also, the motherboard box appeared to have been opened, as though I'd been given a returned one.

I suppose I just want approval that what I should be doing is RMA-ing this thing.

thanks,
Chris

Ah, I just realized (and this is where 1st time builder comes in) this motherboard has no speaker to beep from. I know where to put it but don't have it. I suppose that negates everything I've done.

Urgh. Sorry all who spent time reading this, but it was a completely foolish mistake. I hadn't realized that the motherboard needs to be plugged in in two places and had only inserted the 24 pin lead. Naturally nothing was working. So to answer your question nickc yeah I do now, I get a post! Hurray! Presently installing windows to my brand new supercomputer.

Thanks anyway for the reply,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back