New PC Issue

Modena

Hey everybody I recently built a computer for a friend of mine and he's experiencing random shutdowns/crashes. I Built a practically identical system for myself first and have never experienced any issues with it. The only thing that comes to mind was the RAM timings, because I remember I didn't set them because CPU-Z showed the correct timing anyways, so I didn't bother setting them. So I'd really appreciate any help on how I can diagnose which component is causing the crashes, and how to fix it, thank you.

System Specs

Phenom II X4 965 BE @3.4ghz (STOCK)
G.skill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3 1333 9-9-9-24
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
MSI GTS450 (Not OC'd)
OCZ ModxStream 700w PSU
WD Black 500gb HDD
Windows 7 64-bit

Also a few weeks back he was getting random GPU artifacting, I updated the drivers and brought down the slight OC I did on the card back to stock. It seems to happen from what he tells me only when gaming.

random shutdowns are normally caused by bad/failing/ defective ram OR a bad PSU. I recently built a system - a phenom II X6 and I had a defective PSU. I replaced the PSU and I haven't had an issue since. Of course your PSU also has to supply sufficient wattage. Use a PSU calculator and add 30% to the result for cushion.

Well I know the PSU is supplying enough wattage since I use the same PSU, and have no issues.
So is there a program I can use to test the RAM? and if it comes up good then I know to replace the psu, correct?

I've run OCCT PSU torture test, prime95, memtest all showed no problems or errors. He says it'll happen when in game artifacting will happen and sometimes lock up and cause the computer to restart. The video card temps where also fine during the OCCT test and during Furmark maxing out at 50c, so I have no idea what is causing these random crashes, any ideas?

Edit- OCCT did show errors 3 in a 12minute PSU test

2010-12-03-18h50-Volt12.png

2010-12-03-18h50-Volt3.png

2010-12-03-18h50-VCore.png

Back