New PC, randomly shuts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main problem is the PC will power off instantly at random. The power supply is about 1 month old and was working flawlessly in a previous P4 system. It is a corsair TX650W and when the computer is booted up all the readings are good. The CPU is a -used- AMD Athlon 64x2 2.6 ghz 65w Socket am2 that has a stuck temp reading. It will run at around 23c on idle on core 0, core 1 is stuck at 93c and will not move on load or idle. It has a pretty good scythe cpu cooler with a nice thin coat of AC5. The cpu temp on core 0 will climb to about 35c on 100% load in prime 95 while core 1 will remain at 93. It wont get past 10 minutes in prime95 without crashing. It will simply power off all the way and has no beeps or errors when i reboot.

Some other specs on the PC would include,

Motherboard: A760G M2+
RAM: Mushkin 2GB DDR 2 800 MHZ 4-4-4-12
Video Card: ATI 4650 1GB Pci Express
CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 2.6 ghz 65W with Scythe 6 pipe cooler
HDD: 320gb Sata, 80gb IDE
PSU: Corsair TX 650W single rail @52amps

The interior is nice and dust free and has plenty of air cooling. I'm leaning towards the cpu being the defect. It is the only item i don't have much history on and has a stuck sensor. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot this or what they think the issue is I would greatly appreciate it.

A simple thing to try and I am sure we are all guilty of is a loose connection, replug in every power connector with extra care. Try a different temperature monitoring program I use core temp, speed fan is another one. From what I can tell you have more then enough power(but im no expert).

The only thing I can think of is what you already posted, swap out your cpu and if the problem persists swap out your psu.

Or wait for a member with a higher tech level to answer.

Do a psu test. If you have another power supply test it and see if the psu is the culprit. I had a psu for about a month and a hafe and it was also the TX650. It died out so i switched for the TX750. PSU can die fairly fast. Not sure why this component is not reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back