TechSpot

New PC, randomly shuts down

By desekoro
Sep 30, 2009
  1. The main problem is the PC will power off instantly at random. The power supply is about 1 month old and was working flawlessly in a previous P4 system. It is a corsair TX650W and when the computer is booted up all the readings are good. The CPU is a -used- AMD Athlon 64x2 2.6 ghz 65w Socket am2 that has a stuck temp reading. It will run at around 23c on idle on core 0, core 1 is stuck at 93c and will not move on load or idle. It has a pretty good scythe cpu cooler with a nice thin coat of AC5. The cpu temp on core 0 will climb to about 35c on 100% load in prime 95 while core 1 will remain at 93. It wont get past 10 minutes in prime95 without crashing. It will simply power off all the way and has no beeps or errors when i reboot.

Some other specs on the PC would include,

Motherboard: A760G M2+
    RAM: Mushkin 2GB DDR 2 800 MHZ 4-4-4-12
    Video Card: ATI 4650 1GB Pci Express
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 2.6 ghz 65W with Scythe 6 pipe cooler
    HDD: 320gb Sata, 80gb IDE
    PSU: Corsair TX 650W single rail @52amps

The interior is nice and dust free and has plenty of air cooling. I'm leaning towards the cpu being the defect. It is the only item i don't have much history on and has a stuck sensor. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot this or what they think the issue is I would greatly appreciate it.

2. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,690   +60

A simple thing to try and I am sure we are all guilty of is a loose connection, replug in every power connector with extra care. Try a different temperature monitoring program I use core temp, speed fan is another one. From what I can tell you have more then enough power(but im no expert).

The only thing I can think of is what you already posted, swap out your cpu and if the problem persists swap out your psu.

Or wait for a member with a higher tech level to answer.

3. Gordon9999

Gordon9999 TS Rookie Posts: 72

Do a psu test. If you have another power supply test it and see if the psu is the culprit. I had a psu for about a month and a hafe and it was also the TX650. It died out so i switched for the TX750. PSU can die fairly fast. Not sure why this component is not reliable.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.