TechSpot

New PC - rough budget $1500

By marinkvasina
Apr 15, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hello, I'm assembling a new PC which will be used for specific tasks only, thus I will be only going with 2x 7970 AMD Radeon HD, the cpu should be low cost intel. The budget is rougly at 1500 USD (Note: prices tend to be higher in my country than most sites like amazon, ebay, newegg).
    I was looking to get some help on exact components( would be better if you could make it under budget).

PSU: 2x 7970
    CPU: Intel i3 or i5 (not expensive one, won't be clocked and the usage will be 5-10% max most of the time).
    RAM: 2x2 GB
    PSU: Bronze, Silver or better modular (that can support all of this, I'm thinking around 1000?)
    Motherboard: Any
    Case: Any
    HDD: any 500GB

The GPU will be runing high a lot of the time, so there is no need for a CPU cooler I guess.
    Ty

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,058   +919

Why do you need 2x GPUs but a weak CPU and little RAM? Even if you were doing graphic intensive tasks like Photoshop or running CFD simulations, you will still need large amounts of RAM and a good CPU.

3. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,475   +624

He's making a bitcoin miner.

OP, just get an i5 3470, H77 mobo, 850W good-quality PSU, 2x 4GB RAM sticks, and a case with good cooling and fan options.

This way you have a decent rig for gaming and general use also.

Alternatively, you can just shove the GPU's into any old rig that'll support them.

4. JC713

I seriously dont get what Bitcoin mining is. 1) Why do people do it? What is the point of it. 2) Is it only viable via GPU computing?

5. St1ckM4n

They do it for 'free' money. But you kinda have to make enough to pay for the electricity used, hardware purchased (or hardware wear-n-tear). Today, it's actually kinda hard to make money with OP's rig, if you pay for electricity.

There is no known point. You computer 'hashes', and get coins sometimes. It's like the folding@home initiative, only there is no known cause that you're helping...

GPU's are way better at floating point operations than CPU's. The brute-force hashing calculations required for bitcoins make GPU's the better choice for mining.

JC713 likes this.
  6. JC713

Interesting. Is it kind of like donating your computer to science by running programs that help out a central computer? You still have control of your PC, but when you arent using it, it helps with research and stuff lol. I never got that stuff.

7. St1ckM4n

Yeah pretty much. Folding@home breaks up a massive project, that is normally run on supercomputers, into small pieces that are run on personal computers (while idle). Your results then get sent back and combined with everyone else's results.

Bitcoin mining is kinda like that.. only.. you're just calculating random hashes and randomly getting coins for it.

8. marinkvasina

marinkvasina TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 262   +9

Yeah.. something like that.
    So what 7970 card is the best value/price. What about Asus DirectCU II?

9. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

The Asus DCUII takes up 3 slots and you need to be careful to choose a mobo which will accomodate 2 of them and give you sufficient bandwidth on the second slot.

I think you're better off just getting a normal dual slot card, they will all OC to pretty much the same levels (even the reference designs albeit they run a bit hot).

10. JC713

He is making a bitcoin miner though, the more GPUs the better. OCing wont help much for that I dont think. marinkvasina I am not sure there are many H77 and B75 boards that support crossfire at x8 on each slot. I think you need a Z77, the ASUS P8Z77V-LK isnt much more expensive.

11. marinkvasina

It takes up 3 slots? :O
    Well OC only icreases the Mhash/s a bit, which isn't enough. I need 2 7970 cards, and the Asus DCUII seems quite good to me.
    Anyways I just checked available models in my area, and this is what I've found:
    Matična ploča Asus P8Z77-V PRO
    ASRock Z77 EXTREME4
    Asus SABERTOOTH Z77
    Msi z77 MPower
    Asus Maximus V Gene ROG

That's about it, which one do you recommend?
    Also will be using Patriot 1600mhz 2x2gb RAM and i5 2400 3.1Ghz because I can get those for free.

12. JC713

Whatever is the cheapest out of those I guess. I think the asrock is the cheapest. The Sabertooth and V Gene arent neccessary since you arent gaming really. The MPower may be another good option. The pro is also a good option but is a bit pricier than the Asrock. The Extreme 4 has the bandwidth to suit your needs so if that is the cheapest, go for that. Well, if you have an i5 2400, then you can get a Z68 motherboard and save yourself a few bucks. The CPU you have is an older generation. The Z77 supports it, but it cant take advantage of the new tech in it, so if you can find a Z68 motherboard available in your area, get that.

13. marinkvasina

Well I searched a bit and I can't find any. So I guess I'm gonna go with one of these.
    What about the PSU, how much power do I need, 800-1000W?
    Thanks for the help.

14. St1ckM4n

You planning on adding a third card to the mix? If not, a good 850W will do you.

15. marinkvasina

No I won't be adding another one due to the price, and adding something weaker into 3way Crossfire is just gonna harm performance I assume.

16. JC713

You cant get 3 way SLI with the Z77s you chose.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.