New PC Starts Up, But Shuts Down Within 1-15 Seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, built my new computer, put everything in and connected it and it powers up, but after several seconds it shuts downs down randomly. By randomly I mean it can shutdown after 1 second, or it can make it all the way into BIOS, then shutdown. At the most it will make it 15 seconds or so before shutting down.

Here are the stats:

AMD64 X2 4200 Processor
Asus A8N-SLI Motherboard
2gigs Corsair XMS DDR RAM (2 Dimms)
EVGA Geforce 7800 GTX Video Card
Coolmax 650W Power Supply
Western Digital 10,000rpm Raptor SATA HD
Thermaltake Big Typhoon CPU Fan
Asus Vento Case

I've tried everything I can think of, and I'm starting to think something is faulty, so any help is greatly appreciated.

I tried taking the video card out of the system and it seems to boot fine. Can't see anything, so I can't be sure, but it stays running and doesn't shut down. Leads me to believe that either the video card sucks up too much power from the power supply, or it's just faulty and is somehow screwing the computer up.

Is the cpu completely down in the socket? Is the power supply connected to the mb properly?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Two possible causes spring to mind.

1 you`ve got a short circuit between your mobo, and the case. You did use the standoffs between the mobo and the case didn`t you?

2 It`s an overheating problem. Take off the heatsink, and clean off the thermal paste/pad using a lint free cloth, and some isopropyl alcohol. Clean the cpu die as well. Apply some new thermal paste. Only a very small amount is required, and reattach the heatsink, making sure you put it on the correct way round.

It would seem that our posts have crossed.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.....what a sistem....
about your problem: i don;t have a solution
how many $$ did you pay for it??

I cleaned off all the thermal paste and reapplied it, and there are standoffs holding the mobo up. I checked all the connections and they all seem to be in place and secure. No change so far.

Someone else had a similar problem recently, and they also had over 1GB of RAM. Try taking out two sticks and booting again. If it works, make sure the timings and everything else are compatible with the RAM you've chosen.

Also try clearing the BIOS/CMOS battery. Sometimes, and very rarely, the default shutdown tempeature is set to low, thus making your system think it is overheating when it actually is not. Be very wary with this one though, and try the other advice listed in this thread first.

This sometimes happens with my mother's pc. The problem may lie in the power supply. The problem with my moms system is that the case has a bad power switch which can cause the system to hang during boot-up. We have to make sure we push the button a certain way in order to get it to start up properly. Your problem sounds very mush like this. I would check the case and the power supply.

seriously.. why would u buy a coolmax to power up ur high end system? u spent prolly 2grand on that rig u cant afford to spend 100$ on a quality power supply? try changing the PSU n see if that works

Edit:
BTW, can u go into bios and check PC Health Status and check ur temps. apparently the temps u see in there is the CPU under load. so if its under 90 or w/e then ig uess its not an overheating issue and more of a power issue.

Make sure the fan on your cpu is working properly, the cmos has a setting which you can set to clear it, this is recommened when you first build a computer anyway. A 500w antec is better than a 650w different brand so switch out power supplies as well just for a test run.

30 sec shutdown error

I think your PC may have spyware installed "30 sec shutdown error"--- when this error was in my PC , I reinstalled my windows & it worked. May be it 'll work with ur PC too. Good luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back