New PC won't post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennzie

I just bought a barebone kit that came with pretty much everything.
I have the following.

MSI P6NGM-L Motherboard
Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 2.2GHz
1024MBX2 OCZ PC2 6400 Dual Channel Memory
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT
450 Watt Power Supply/Came with case.

I've tried starting it up with two different PSU's The original one and another one. Both power up everything but it won't post. All of the fan's spin, the hard drive turns on, DVD drive starts up but no signal goes to the monitor. There are no beeps because there doesn't appear to be a speaker or any LED's on the motherboard. There is this little black thing that says speaker that I plugged into the motherboard but it doesn't beep or do anything.
I don't know what to do.

Also on the memory it says 4-4-4 @2.1v
On the DIMM's for the memory it says 1.8V on each of them. Could this be the problem? The memory I received came in the barebone kit from tigerdirect. So shouldn't it be compatible?

I would imagine that the .3 voltage increase should be okay.

If everything is powered, and you just don't have display, have you tried attaching your monitor to the integrated VGA and removing your video card to see if you can get a signal that way?

If you do get a signal, odds are you just have to alter the BIOS to use your PCI-E video card before the integrated VGA.

I've been trying to boot it with the integrated. I just put the PCI-E card back in but no difference. I was watching the monitor while I power it on and the light changes from orange to green for a breif moment while it turns on. So I guess it is sending a signal but stops?
I've also tried turning it on with the motherboard on a cardboard box so I don't think there are any shorts anymore. When I first put it in I accidently forgot to put in the stand offs so it wsn't turning on, because it was touching the case. Could this have damaged it?

probably could have hurt it somewhat. i just set up my first pc tonight, and i had my psu switch off, so I had to switch it a few times before its first post... lol. make sure that there is nothing touching the case too. processor fan plugged in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back