SNGX1275

Occationally I will visit the site from a computer or browser I've not used before (no cookies) and as a result I have to log in. When I log in the forums show up as lit up like they should, but when I actually enter all of them are grey, indicating no new posts since my last visit.

Anyone else have this happen?

I think I've seen this happen anytime I have to log in but I'm not certain, I also think it happens in any browser, but in this latest instance it was Firefox (1.5.0.1 - yes I know its old).

Sorry; never seen this, but I've keep FF current relating to 1.5.*
Even IE-6 performs correctly.

Ok. Booting off a live linux cd here at work. Using FF 2.0.0.3, I come to the site, obviously don't have any preexisting cookies so I must log in. I do, all looks well, I see the forums lit up saying there are new posts, some forums don't have new posts, everything is as expected.

Then, I click on one that has new posts, all the threads in there then aren't lit up, so there is no visual indication on which threads have new posts since my last visit.

I've noticed that too from time to time. Like today it is sporadic. On most forums (today) new posts are not highlighted when they should be but on the other hand, on a few forums they are. It seems worse today than other times. I usually use Firefox 2.0.0.7.

I've never had it happen when I have it set to remember me. Only when I log in from a browser I've never used on TS before or when I'm not already logged in.

I imagine I could log out after I'm done here tonight, and then in a few hours come back, sign in and have the same thing happen, regardless of what browser I'm using. But that is just a theory. If someone else wants to try it out before me thats fine :D

Hi SNGX:

Yes, this happens to me on a fairly regular basis. I use the same browser(Firefox2.0.0.7) and I do have the remember me ticked and I keep the cookies too.

In fact, it`s been happening for quite a long time. Usually I just mark all forums read from the quick links menu when it happens. It then seems fine until the next time it happens.

Regards Howard :)

Well, it is fine for the next time. But that doesn't do me much good for the current time. Normally I visit TS with 3 'different' browsers depending on the time of day. Opera 9.5a Windows at work, Opera 9.5a OS X PPC at home, and Opera 9.23 Windows at home. Everything is seamless there, if I last visit at work, when I come home and open TS new posts show up fine. I've always had the 'remember me' box checked though. The problem occurs if I use a different browser (or I imagine if I've logged out, but I haven't tested this) where then I have to sign in to the forums.

I don't know vbulletin's inner workings as well, but it might be the case that besides our server saving the last time you were logged in (thus showing you whatever it is new since then), your browser cookies do something similar, so when you login from a clean browser session, you have to log in and everything goes to read since your "last login info" is updated to the current time.

Did that make sense to you?

Well sort of, but I'm not very up to speed on how the cookies work. But it did cross my mind that having no prior cookies might be related to the problem. But then I thought about it some more, and everything looks good after I log in, the forums with new posts are lit up like they have new ones. It is once I click on them, the posts inside are all marked as read. So the forum main page is correct, entering the individual forums is where the problem occurs.

Edit: Update
I booted off a KateOS 3.6 Live CD (very nice btw) which uses Bon Echo 2.0.0.6 (tweaked FF) and I did not have the problems outlined above. Logged in, forums with new posts were lit up, and entering those forums the individual threads with new posts were also lit up. So perhaps my theory that this could happen on any browser was incorrect.

Back