TechSpot

New power supply recommendations

By InkLill
Nov 29, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I recently was passed down a junky old HP Pavilion with onboard graphics. I am going to replace the onboard graphics with a higher end video card, but I noticed my power supply is only 250W.
    What would you recommend as a good gaming power supply while on a budget (probably no more than $125
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,117   +23

Are you able to give us the hardware specs of this system and the video card you'll be upgrading to?

With $125 budget you can get a really good psu with a whole lot of your budget left over.
  3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,284   +24

I second what Route44 said above. You could probably have more money left to buy a video card, so you can get a really powerful one.
  4. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,117   +23

I'm just wondering if it pays to upgrade this system in any way which is why I asked for the hardware specs especially the motherboard/cpu.
  5. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

"Junky old HP Pavilion" with 250W PSU does sound like it won't have something that can feed a high-end GPU. And if that's the case you're right that it wont be worth investing a lot of money in.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.