TechSpot

New privacy bill would require search warrant for e-mail, cell tracking

By Shawn Knight
Sep 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Several technology companies including Apple, Google, Intel, Microsoft and Twitter are backing a new privacy bill that was recently introduced in the US House of Representatives. Democratic Representative Zoe Lofgren's bill would require law enforcement officials to obtain a search...

Read more

2. This is pretty much the best idea they have come up within 6-7 years...

3. This will get **** blocked by the government. I support this new bill but it wont pass.

4. Jiopaba2

Jiopaba2 TS Rookie

Perhaps so. but... it's kind of hard to argue when Google, Apple, Microsoft, Intel, and Twitter are telling you to do something. The amount of money and information control they can bring to bear on this sort of thing would be mindblowing. If Google felt like making "Support this Bill! Defend your Privacy!" their search logo thing for the day, every letter or email campaign in the world would suddenly pale to insignificance before the storm of support it would unleash.

5. So there's a bill requiring a warrant. I suppose that keeps the "honest" officials out of our phones at least... Oh, well. I guess the CIA just has to start covering their tracks a little better.

6. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

This is a great idea!!! Now they have to legally crack your email or phone!!!! This means accountability.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.