TechSpot

New Processor for Video encoding....

By vassil3427
Apr 13, 2004
  1. Hey guys,
    Well I've begun video encoding and heavy use of my new TDK 8x DVD+-RW Drive...however I am finding out quickly, even with 768mb of DDR my 1800+ is slow as anything when it comes to video encoding, especially when its an hour and a half of basketball games..It takes many many hours to encode..So if you could all help me in choosing a new mobo and processor, I'd really appreciate it :D

I've heard P4's are better for video encoding...so AMD or Intel, I'm not biased...

I'd like to stay sub $300 if possible:grinthumb

Current Specs:
    Athlon XP 1800+
    K7S5A Mobo
    786mb PC2700(running at PC2100 speeds)
    100GB WD SE HDD
    Ati AIW Radeon 9600
    SB Audigy Gamer
    400w Antec PSU
    TDK 8x DVD-+RW
    XP Home

2. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 830

I personally prefer the AMD 64 platform, however according to Anandtech, the P4's got the encoding crown.

And according to Pricewatch.com, to stay under your $300 limit would probably stick you with a P4 3.2 800mhz and any supporting mobo thats around $115, like the ASUS P4P800

3. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

If it were me, I would get something like a P4 2.8E with a P4P800-E Deluxe. Those together would drop you about $315 (on newegg), but I don't think you should go lower than that. I have a P4P800 (non -E) Deluxe and I can't say enough good things about it, very solid system board, and affordable too. The difference between my board and the -E is a different RAID controller (better, the VIA VT6410 on mine sucks), different onboard audio (better, again :(), and a different onboard gigabit Ethernet chip (I dunno about better, the 3COM I have in mine is awesome).

Here's the link for the P4P800-E Deluxe and here's the Pentium 4 2.8E

If you wanted an alternative, I dunno how they would compare performance wise, then a Athlon XP Barton 3200+ and an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe would do you good. That's about $15 more than the Intel solution, but you could always settle for a 3000+ and save like $55 :rolleyes: (it's the same way with the 2.8E and the 3.0E...you pay like $60 for one multiplier stepping)

4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

This is probably one of the only cases where a P4EE would come in handy. All you need to do now is sell a kidney or two ( they don't even have to be yours *cough*MrG*cough* ) & get one of those rare-as-Loch-Ness-CPUs.:D

5. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,212

It's good to see another purist around here. :angel:

And no, you can't have my kidney either.....I've given one away and the other's reserved for my hops and barley. :p

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.