New psu and still no power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, iv got a problem with a pc iv been asked to repair by me m8, as iv built a few PC's in the past. problem is, hit the power button and nothing no fans no lights, so im thinking "change the psu" after spending £45 on a p/s put it in, hit the button and ay presto nothing at all no fans no lights, so if its not the psu and nothing happens on the mobo when i hit the power button, is it the button at fault.
I know the new psu works coz iv put it in my pc (dident want to waist a brand new 500w psu) so is it the mobo or power botton

To test the button mark which two pins go to the power button on the motherboard. Then remove the plug from the board and short the pins together with an insulated screwdriver, if it turns on the button was bad, if not something else is. Did you check all the power wire connections? Are any capacitors "blown"? Anything metal shorting out against the board? Any electrical storms lately?

How about the fuse in the powerplug? Or a faulty powercable?
Open the PC, follow the small POWER cable from the PC-front to mobo, pull it off and make that contact using a small screwdriver (just touching those 2 pins together once should do). If that works, you need a new switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back