New RAM is stopping my computer from working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsaneVr6

I have a Dell Inspiron 530. It has 2GB of RAM installed on it. I just bought another stick of RAM to get it up to 3GB.

However, when I put it in, it does not boot, and when i take it out, it boots fine as always. So I figured that I would start the computer and then put the RAM in, when that happened, the screen went black and the internal speaker started going (1-1-1-1-1) I tried looking this up for BIOS beeps but found nothing for Dell.

Not sure what to do at this point to get the RAM to work in my computer.

Any help is appreciated. Look at my system specs if you need them.

______
EDIT: I suppose I bought the wrong RAM. I tested all 4 sticks of RAM in my computer and the one I just bought is the culprit. Its Kingston, the same as the last one I got however i noticed that the actual RAM stick was smaller (not lengthwise but wide-wise) I am assuming that it would be for different motherboards or mhz etc.

I also paid $35 for it. Can someone recommend 1GB ddr2 for my computer? I'll buy it off newegg at a cheaper price, just not sure what I need. Last one I got was from WalMart and it worked fine haha.

So I figured that I would start the computer and then put the RAM in
In all honesty, that is one of the worst things you could have possibly done.

Like Tedster says in the post he linked, NEVER mix different brands/sizes/speeds of RAM. And NEVER EVER install a piece of internal hardware into a computer while it has power!

I knew there were better options but I became tired with it as I know others do. And Tedster thats a good writeup on RAM you did. Good info in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back