TechSpot

New rumors say Samsung interested in buying webOS

By Jos
Aug 29, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Following HP's decision to halt its webOS projects and potentially exit the PC market Samsung quickly emerged as the most likely candidate for a buyout. Though HP didn't exactly confirm…

Read the whole story

2. mosu

mosu TS Guru Posts: 422   +48

Just rumors and speculations, Samsung does not need WebOS at all.

3. nismo91

nismo91 TS Evangelist Posts: 900   +15

unlikely but possible, considering samsung's faith in bada OS.

4. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Guru Posts: 529   +37

I mean all you need is some talented and enthusiastic software engineers......at this point I'm honestly thinking that maybe the world should live without it. The Dreamcast was one of the best consoles ever made but it died an early death and I had to accept it...........*tear*........*runs and starts crying*

5. RaiDeR55

RaiDeR55 TS Rookie Posts: 45

If they do buy WebOs.. Man that Os been Sold and passed around more than a hooker on a Street corner... :)

6. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

Its not like WebOS has a great future ahead of it, so why bother. If Samsung were to buy WebOS the number of sales from WebOS devices will not doubtedly not even come close to Android device sales, even with goolges purchase of motorola, hell even win7 device sales may do better

7. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

@aj
    As Jose mentioned in the article probability is Samsung want to reduce its dependence on Android, and I am absolutely sure many other OEMs making android phones will be doing the same in near future, mainly because of Moto + Big G marriage (i.e. Big G is bound to give more preference to it at some point in time), plus all those legal issues.

8. Butch

Butch TS Enthusiast Posts: 112

I agree that this is unlikely but if Samsung did buy it and put on a full-court-press with good engineering and dev support I think it would be a great thing for us consumers. I own an Android phone but I have used a recent version of WebOS for a couple months and really liked it. It does have a lot of potential and the more I have to choose from the happier I am.