New sata hdd does not read in bios or windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed quite a few people are having issues with SATA drives on systems which had IDE drives before that. My problem is similar in that my pc does not read a new SATA drive, but my old HDD is also a SATA. Also, the new HDD is not even being read by BIOS.

I made sure all the wires are connected properly..However I noticed that my old SATA hdd is not connected to the power source using the slim cable, it connects through the older cables (Legacy, I think)...Any ideas, please?

My motherboard is an ASUS A8N-E, my CPU is AMD Athlon 3.0+..Any other specs I should provide?

Try detaching the "old" SATA drive from your motherboard and plugging the "new" SATA drive into the first port. See if it's detected by the BIOS.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've tried reattaching both drives to different ports, and still no change. What really bugs me is that the new drive works, I can hear it.

my old SATA hdd is not connected to the power source using the slim cable, it connects through the older cables

Is Sata enabled in CMOS ?
Are you sure the old drive is Sata ?

ok, the new hdd has the power and the data cables as sata, the slim ones.

The old hdd has a sata data cable and the same power cable as the dvd-rom. Here's the odd thing...the old hdd works just fine the way it is...but I tried connecting both hdd's with a sata power cable, and neither worked (Hard drive not found).

Sudden epiphany: could it be that my motherboard is not compatible with sata 2? is there anyway to fix that?

The old hdd has a sata data cable and the same power cable as the dvd-rom

I see. It is Sata data and power.
But the Sata power connector is daisy chained from a standard ATA (can't rember the name!) power cable, which also plugs into the DVD drive.

Got it!

Back to Zenosincks suggestion with an additive.

Unplug the old Sata and unplug the DVD drive Data (IDE) from the Motherboard.

ie
No DVD drive connected
And old Sata also disconnected

Then
Plug in the new Sata drive only

Then turn on, go to CMOS and confirm the drive is found
If it has been, then there may be a conflict with the new Sata HardDrive and the old ATA DVD Drive.

Anyway, please try that (only) and reply back.
Note: this has not been tried as yet
And is just to test that CMOS can see it.

Well, when I disconnected the old SATA and the DVD rom, nothing was detected. However, this made me check the power cables. I've replaced the SATA power cable I used to connect the new HDD and, TA-DAAA! BIOS finally saw it!

Now, a new issue...I've partitioned the new HDD into one partition (I used Partition Magic), but nothing shows up in My Comuter, only the old partitions...Device manager recognizes the new HDD, but not Windows...

Oh, and thanks again for the great suggestions!

but nothing shows up in My Comuter, only the old partitions
Communication is important

You mean, the only thing that shows in My Computer is the old HardDrive (it happens to be partitioned - but that's irrelevant)
The point is that the new HardDrive does not show at all

Is that right?

What I'd suggest, is to unplug the old (Windows) HardDrive
And only connect the new one
And partition using your Windows Cd (ie remove the partition first - PM will do)

Then, replug the Old (Windows) HardDrive back in
And start your computer back up.

Why unplug the old (Windows) HardDrive
To avoid you killing it, by incorrect partitioning

Why use Windows Partitioning
To make sure the cluster size is correct

By the way, I take it that the old HardDrive is NTFS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back