New sound card - DTS 5.1 through boxee but not through VLC..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I'll list my hardware:

Previous Sound : ATI High Definition Audio Device - From what I can tell this was the HDMI output on my graphics card.

New sound card : Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Sound Card

I've installed just the drivers for the new card because the disk (as usual) came with looooads of stuff that I don't want on my new pc.

I watch Films and TV shows and also play games here and there so I wanted a good sound card which could output digital sound to my Receiver (Sony STR DG820)

Now I've gone SPDIF from the sound card to the receiver and it sounds OK (Can't tell a difference really from before) When I play a film in VLC with a DTS 5.1 channel, I select this in the audio drop down menu yet my receiver only notices a 2.1 feed coming in. When I open the same film in boxee.app however the receiver notices that it's a DTS 5.1 channel and even displays this on the Panel.

Any ideas why this is? Have I done the right thing in just downloading the drivers for the card? Should I connect the card differently to the receiver? Am I getting the most out of my card?

These are questions I would greatly appreciate an answer to. Sorry if it's long winded. Thanks.

hi and welcome to techspot.

im certain that SPDIF and some other digital audio technologies actually send digital format to your receiver, and then your receiver decodes it. so actually, the sound quality, most of the time will depends on your receiver & speakers, because the sound card did not do much decoding. that should explain the sound quality compared to onboard.

about the 5.1 sound, have you try other players? also, I used VLC for a while long time ago, and i noticed that it actually has alot of audio settings to play with. well at least try to double-check the audio settings.

i actually doubt the x-fi support 5.1 dts and dolby, since i used to have that card and unlike realtek, i couldn't find any setting about 5.1 dts connect or dolby digital live. while for the x-fi titanium, yes it supports dts connect and dolby digital live. (from their website).

hi and welcome to techspot.

im certain that SPDIF and some other digital audio technologies actually send digital format to your receiver, and then your receiver decodes it. so actually, the sound quality, most of the time will depends on your receiver & speakers, because the sound card did not do much decoding. that should explain the sound quality compared to onboard.

about the 5.1 sound, have you try other players? also, I used VLC for a while long time ago, and i noticed that it actually has alot of audio settings to play with. well at least try to double-check the audio settings.

i actually doubt the x-fi support 5.1 dts and dolby, since i used to have that card and unlike realtek, i couldn't find any setting about 5.1 dts connect or dolby digital live. while for the x-fi titanium, yes it supports dts connect and dolby digital live. (from their website).

Thanks for the reply nismo, cleared a few things up. I did some searching this morning and found the fix. It was from the VLC forums and the post was by gurudistri
"I had a similar problem.

Try the following;
Tools>preferences>all>stream output>sout stream>transcode>audio>
tick mark
DTS Coherent Acoustics audio decoder and

ATSC A/52 (AC-3) audio decoder

and save it. Restart VLC player and check.... :D"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back