New sub-$100 graphics card

1. I'm replacing the graphics card in my spare computer so my wife can use it. The only damanding game she plays is Sims 3. For now it will be running a POS 17" CRT montior at no more than 768x1024, but down the road she would like something more like a ~20" flatscreen for it.

So I'm trying to find the best bang for my buck graphics card in the sub $100 price range.

Rest of the specs on the computer are a C2D 4200 CPU, 2 gigs DDR2 ram, an a decent Gigabyte mobo and a 500 watt Antec PSU. PSU is almost brand new. Replaced it right before the old geforce 7300 GPU went out, so I don't want to have to upgrade the PSU.

Thanks!
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,067   +1,180

Assuming you have a PCIe x16 slot available. Any of these cards would be fine for what you are asking. :)

Newegg Search
  3. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 843   +11

Yah it has an open PCIe x16 slot where the old graphics card was. I will take a look at that list. thx
  4. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

5. Code Butcher

Code Butcher TechSpot Member Posts: 84

I just picked up a GeForce 8400 GS 512MB DDR3 from NewEgg for $9.99 after rebate. It has a VGA, DVI and HDMI port.
  6. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TechSpot Booster Posts: 239   +27

skip on the 8400 GS, those are barely newer then the 7300 you pulled, as suggested a 6750 would fit the bill perfectly.
  7. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 843   +11

I think I will go with the 6750. Hope I'm not ordering to late. Need it here by this weekend for my wife's birthday present :p.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.