New system build - no signal to monitor

By carpevino
May 27, 2010
  1. i've just built a system with the following components:

ASUS P5G41T-M/CSM LGA 775 Intel G41 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
    A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

no video card as i bought the mobo because it has onboard HDMI. the computer starts up, i get a beep, but there is no signal through either the VGA or HDMI outputs. i've tried it hooked up to the TV as well as a monitor. no OS installed on there right now, but i should still be seeing a BIOS screen right? anyone know what i should be looking at to fix this? appreciate any help!
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

Perhaps you need HD drivers for that port to work. Try using the analog D-Sub connector until you can install them after the OS is installed.
  3. carpevino

carpevino TS Rookie Topic Starter

sorry - by VGA i guess i mean D-Sub.... i've tried connecting using each connector separately and no luck... thanks for the reply.
  4. mailpup

You are so right. Sorry, I overlooked that somehow. I presume the 4 pin ATX 12V CPU connector is plugged in and there are no misplaced motherboard standoffs? Are you using a power supply that came with the case? What brand, model and wattage?
  5. carpevino

the ps and case were separate:
    Rosewill RD400-2-DB 400W ATX V2.2
    nMEDIAPC Black HTPC 5000B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

the 4-pin connector is definitely in but i will double check just in case... as with the standoffs... i'm sure i did but it was pretty late when i put this thing together :)
  6. carpevino

aha! thanks for putting me on track - it was indeed the 4-pin connector.

thanks again, now it's on to the real fun!!
  7. mailpup

I'm glad you got it all sorted out.
  8. Punkid

Punkid TS Guru Posts: 420

i had a similar problem once, i opened my case for something and when i closed it, pc didnt work...same problem as yours...i was worried sick, removed GPU, removed the CMOS the end turned out that the CPU power connector wasnt connected properly
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.