NEW !!! TechSpot SETI@HOME Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitAlex

Hey guys, I just created a SETI@HOME Team for us because I restarted a new account because I forgot my old webmail password.

If anyone is willing to join our team ...

Techspot Team homepage

:)

See you soon on SETI@HOME and IRC ;)

How about the cancer research screensaver one. That way it is for something more tangible than SETI?

Or have I just offended heaps of trekkies out there? :D

don't even knwo about it :p

The problem is the following :

If I run such a screensaver and they find something and I then I have a cancer THEY fill have MAX PROFIT and I will pay MAX PRICE to be healed anyway ...

SETI is not a project that is likely to make much money of our results ...

What do u say about it ?

I think on occasion some of the dirt in the appartment that I used to share with Elros could have been classified as extra terrestrial life as there was certainly nothing like it else where in the world... ;)
I don't think my computer on a 56k connection that isn't cheap to connect over would be of much use to Seti... or Elros's Athlon 800 on ADSL for that matter :eek: :rolleyes:

SETI doesn't use much bandwidth. You download packets from the SETI server ( WUs = Work Units, they're generally 340k ) & from there the program starts analysing it.

It takes about 4 / 6 hours for a good CPU to complete one unit. During that time, the PC doesn't have to be connected to the net at all.

Once the packet has been analysed, the results will be sent to the server ( takes less time then the packet download ) & you credited with the completion of one Unit.:)

I hope this might convince some people to join.:D

I just joined the team :) I'm a first timer though so I'm not contributing to the team much for now, however since I got cable now I will be on 24/7... will give you guys a post tomorrow, ouch 5am already !

WAIT! Before anyone else joins this team please take a look at our newer team...

New Team

I should have done this earlier - didn't think.

LNCPapa

I could switch to the Cancer Research team, no problem. However I believe we must decide first which one we will go for from the beginning...

Once we got a lot of members in, we could diversify efforts but in order to grow up faster in quantity we better have only one project for now. I'll let you guys decide :D Also take in consideration the popularity and availability of clients for each of the programs, of course, we could run a secondary team (in this case for example, there is no Windows client for joining the UD Cancer team).

Also, it would help a lot if people already running these clients join our team, that way we could boost our stats.

Last but not least... how much time is one of those SETI units supposed to take to complete? My PC is only 38% done and it has been running for more than 10 hours - (Athlon XP 1600+, 512mb RAM, KT333 mobo, etc, etc.)

I believe SETI units would finish in around 4 / 5 hours on such a machine. The time is affected by the runing apps in the background / foreground. If you're doing a lot of Photoshop at the same time, it clearly will take some more time.

As most people do when they start, I suppose you're running the GUI client ( same as the screensaver ). The CLI ( Command Line Interface ) is much faster & it can be used along with 3rd party tools. It can even run as a service.

Here's an article on how to get maximum performance for SETI -> How do I get SETI@Home up and running under Windows?
It also explains how to create a WU cache ( when you want to download more then one unit at a time ).

That's the only thing missing with UD. It's newer then SETI so there aren't many 3rd party tools available for it.

Originally posted by TS | Julio
in this case for example, there is no Windows client for joining the UD Cancer team
There's no other than Windows client right now. I'm running it in Window$ emulator in Linux. :)

I followed those instructions on Anand's site and I'm using the command based program now, much faster for sure... my recommendation to all people joining.

I seem to have completed my first package, how often is that page on the SETI website updated btw? I would love to see my name going up a few positions in the next couple of weeks for sure ;) hehe, let's start this thing rolling !

The team's page only updates manually. the owner ( in this case DigitAlex ) has te renew it every time.

You can always hassle him on the IRC channel to do it more often. After all, he's always asking Papa to update the IRC stats.;)

I've taken a break of SETI for the moment & am running UD right now.

Let me start the SETI hall of fame ;)

Seti-100-results.jpg

Seti-250-results.jpg

Seti-500-results.jpg

Talking of dirt classified as extra-terrestrial, I seem to remember Arris's dirty dishes containing a form of mould that could have been a cure for cancer. Shame we threw it out. :D

I suppose dividing our resources means spreading them thinly, but on the plus side, it does mean helping more people, since that is the main aim, rather than a wee competition to see who can do the most work? ;)

I reckon if ET is out there, he can give us a call, the cheap sod! :D

Well, I got the CLI up and running ok w/ SETIDriver. I'm looking at 3 hours and 30 mins per work unit. Haha! Beat that Julio...:D

I also joined the anandtech team, just for the heck of it.

Even though I have fully dedicated the past couple of weeks on completing SETI work units, I have now switched to the UD Cancer Research team and I would recommend most people to do so as well.

Though it's hard to put your efforts behind and start from zero on this new project, I would still recommend you to do so as we will be unifying forces once I start promoting the "Team TechSpot" on the site and it's much more likely it's going to be either UD or Folding but definitely not SETI.

And of course, you will also want to switch inmediately considering that we are a few weeks away from promoting the team officially and you won't want to run at the bottom of the charts :D

A little update on the small SETI@Home team.;)

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_148104.html

We should all congratulate Papa for passing the 2K mark a little while ago. I think SETI@Home is only running on his Mac machines due to the lack of an UD client on MacOS.

A big :grinthumb to Timmoore who's nearing 500 returned results allready. Keep crunching those packets & keep those CPUs heated.

We're also nearing 6K returned results for the whole team. So whoever is interested, download the CLI client & start looking for little green neighbours.:D

Blimey, Tim is working fast! He won't overtake me just yet, but if he keeps this up...

*looks around the room to see if he can't build another machine to look for ET's*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back