TechSpot

New to online gaming - what is a good ping?

By detrunks
Jan 31, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Please can somebody tell me what ping time range would offer me a good game without adverse lag?

thx in advance
  2. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

Ping is all realtive to your connection, and the server you are playing on.

I would consider a ping of less than 50 as good. Less then a hundred, as decent. ANd less then 150 as the end of ok gameplay.

What game are we talking about here
  3. sjps220

sjps220 Newcomer, in training Posts: 129

yeah it really depends on the game. For example, I play wolfenstein enemy territory a lot and my ping is usually around 20-30. When it increases to 60 or higher, I really notice the differnce and I can tell something is wrong. Before my computer upgrade, my ping was usually around 60-70 and I was used to it so I still played fine. Overall, I'd agree with the general ranges given by ATK.
  4. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,058

:D Max with ok gamming

In CS:S I would say you can get at most 220ms

In battlefield 2 200ms

In BF2 Special Forces 145ms

it really depends on the sever(specs connection speed, location)the game you(cpu,gpu hdd,mem,connection speed, location) I play on australian severs from cali in BF2 all the time with a ping of 200 and I still looks as if it were a lan battle.

:D :D :D

v12 '09 caddie
  5. detrunks

detrunks TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 204

thanks

Thanks for your responses - the games are Far Cry, BF2 and FEAR.
    I really didn't appreciate that different games would have differing acceptable ping rates!
    I guess it'll be a case of try it and see!
  6. wirm

wirm Newcomer, in training Posts: 91

Obviously, the lower the ping, the bigger my smile :p

When I play first person shooters, anything less than 100 is good enough.

I can be more forgiving for real-time strategy games or RPGs. It's kind of like frame-rates in that regard.
  7. DirkDbo

DirkDbo Newcomer, in training

Lower ping

I was kicked off BF2 for having a 222 ping on a server. What can I do to lower my ping. I just bought a Dell 400 with dual core technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB). I have broadband connection and don't understand why I'm reciving so much lag when playing online.
  8. detrunks

detrunks TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 204

low ping

I've found ping to be mainly affected by location of host - servers in your own country will normally have lower ping for you. Your BB speed is also affected by how far away you are from an exchange - check your speed with DSL reports (or similar). Also, make sure no-one else is using your connection in your home. If UR wireless, make sure it's secure!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.