New to online gaming - what is a good ping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

detrunks

Please can somebody tell me what ping time range would offer me a good game without adverse lag?

thx in advance

Ping is all realtive to your connection, and the server you are playing on.

I would consider a ping of less than 50 as good. Less then a hundred, as decent. ANd less then 150 as the end of ok gameplay.

What game are we talking about here

yeah it really depends on the game. For example, I play wolfenstein enemy territory a lot and my ping is usually around 20-30. When it increases to 60 or higher, I really notice the differnce and I can tell something is wrong. Before my computer upgrade, my ping was usually around 60-70 and I was used to it so I still played fine. Overall, I'd agree with the general ranges given by ATK.

:D Max with ok gamming

In CS:S I would say you can get at most 220ms

In battlefield 2 200ms

In BF2 Special Forces 145ms

it really depends on the sever(specs connection speed, location)the game you(cpu,gpu hdd,mem,connection speed, location) I play on australian severs from cali in BF2 all the time with a ping of 200 and I still looks as if it were a lan battle.

:D :D :D

v12 '09 caddie

thanks

Thanks for your responses - the games are Far Cry, BF2 and FEAR.
I really didn't appreciate that different games would have differing acceptable ping rates!
I guess it'll be a case of try it and see!

Obviously, the lower the ping, the bigger my smile :p

When I play first person shooters, anything less than 100 is good enough.

I can be more forgiving for real-time strategy games or RPGs. It's kind of like frame-rates in that regard.

Lower ping

I was kicked off BF2 for having a 222 ping on a server. What can I do to lower my ping. I just bought a Dell 400 with dual core technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB). I have broadband connection and don't understand why I'm reciving so much lag when playing online.

low ping

I've found ping to be mainly affected by location of host - servers in your own country will normally have lower ping for you. Your BB speed is also affected by how far away you are from an exchange - check your speed with DSL reports (or similar). Also, make sure no-one else is using your connection in your home. If UR wireless, make sure it's secure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back