New ultra-lightweight LG Gram Pro laptops include onboard AI processing

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: LG Electronics has taken the wraps off a new wave of LG Gram Pro series laptops, a little over a week before the tech industry converges on Las Vegas for CES 2024. The ultra-lightweight Gram Pro laptops (models 16Z90SP (16-inch) and 17Z90SP (17-inch)) ship with your choice of Intel Core Ultra 5 or Core Ultra 7 processor as well as Intel's AI Boost, an onboard neural processing unit (NPU) that can handle AI workloads locally without a network connection.

The Pro models also include a WQXGA (2,560 x 1,600, 400 nits) LCD display with variable refresh rate that covers 100 percent of the DCI-P3 color space, and 16-inch buyers can opt for a WQXGA+ (2,880 x 1,800 OLED). Other noteworthy specs include support for up to 32 GB of LPDDR5X memory, support for dual M.2 SSDs, HD Audio with Dolby Atmos, and either Intel Arc graphics or an Nvidia RTX 3050 with 4 GB of GDDR6.

LG's latest also gets a dual cooling system designed to keep the machines running optimally, even when performing demanding tasks like video editing or AI image creation.

GPU selection will dictate which battery you get. Opt for the iGPU and you can expect a 77Wh pack; the dedicated GPU comes backed by a 90Wh unit.

True to their name, the new Gram Pro laptops are not very heavy. The 16-inch model with integrated graphics weighs just 1,199 grams (about 2.64 pounds) while the GTX-equipped model weighs in at 1,279 grams (or 2.82 pounds). The bigger 17-inch model checks in at 1,299 grams (2.86 pounds) with the iGPU or 1,379 grams (3.04 pounds) with the dedicated graphics solution.

Pricing and availability was not mentioned, but LG promised to have the laptops on display during CES. The company is hosting a press conference at 8 a.m. on January 8, and will have the Gram Pro laptops available to check out at their booth.

CES 2024 officially runs from January 9-12 with January 7 and January 8 serving as media days.

Permalink to story.

Can someone tell me what in the world "built in AI processing" is? Working with AI has even become part of my job at work and I still have no idea what this crap is.

See, even you don't know what it does in the shadows. And this is how Tesla lost a worker.
I feel like by the time anyone figures out wtf is going on Skynet will have done it's thing, and the only buildings will have roofs made with SSL tiles. Now available at amazon, Chinese made. In pink. Pretty.

Can someone tell me what in the world "built in AI processing" is? Working with AI has even become part of my job at work and I still have no idea what this crap is.
You know its marketing. The industry termed that phrase "built in" or "built on" because of the ai co-processor abilities to not solely be reliant on "cloud" ai. They are promoting to inform ai programmers that local host said pc (LG in this case) has abilities.

"ai" is here to stay for the foreseeable future, ai is a technology AND the latest buzz word marketing. You of all people should know that. That said, similar to your assumed annoyance, I can relate. Over a decade ago when I worked as an admin assistant and the buzz word "cloud" networking first came to be, it was so annoyingly stupid. Just shared servers located off site. Just silly marketing, get used to it, they'll be more tech buzz words and catch phrases to come.

You know its marketing. The industry termed that phrase "built in" or "built on" because of the ai co-processor abilities to not solely be reliant on "cloud" ai. They are promoting to inform ai programmers that local host said pc (LG in this case) has abilities.

"ai" is here to stay for the foreseeable future, ai is a technology AND the latest buzz word marketing. You of all people should know that. That said, similar to your assumed annoyance, I can relate. Over a decade ago when I worked as an admin assistant and the buzz word "cloud" networking first came to be, it was so annoyingly stupid. Just shared servers located off site. Just silly marketing, get used to it, they'll be more tech buzz words and catch phrases to come.
I remember before "cloud" it was "logistics". What was "logistics"? Wasn't that like 2003-2008?

Wow..
we already have cars with AI capabilities, CPUs with AI, operating systems with AI, a laptop with AI capabilities..
maybe, sometimes in the future, our household appliances will be equipped with AI capabilities..

Wow..
we already have cars with AI capabilities, CPUs with AI, operating systems with AI, a laptop with AI capabilities..
maybe, sometimes in the future, our household appliances will be equipped with AI capabilities..

we already have for many years now A.I. in things that people dont expect to be (M.L. actually), in Cameras for example.

we already have for many years now A.I. in things that people dont expect to be (M.L. actually), in Cameras for example.
well, for now.. whether there is an AI near me or not is almost felt the same for me...
I only use it as needed...

So LG chose the cpu with the inferior AI processing power in Mediocre Lake. Still Lucky Goldstar in all but name.

They can practically add a 1 mhz processor and write the techno jargon as a "Dedicated NPU" as this is exactly what it is, Marketing gimmick. This may very well be the case as it says that it processes 'AI workload without network connection' so it might a be Ok Google command interpreter or some crap like that. Just give us large number of CUDA cores and tonnes of VRAM.

Grams are amazing at their thinness and low weight.
Sadly for me, they are impossible to do any gaming and I am not one of those people to have 10 devices for 10 different uses.
But we are getting close. Graphics that will handle gaming in these slim cases are a reality, just need some time.

My laptop with dual-core Intel Pentium processor from 2015 (1366x768) has AI processing capabilities and the ability to render AI capable quantum AI rendering of processing AI.

Thank you, HP, for being so far ahead at the time.

Back