New ultra lightweight metal lattice eyed for tech advancements

By Shawn Knight
Nov 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. A new ultra lightweight material could impact the future of technology in a large way. Best described as a lattice of hollow metal nickel tubes, the material is nearly as…

Read the whole story
  2. chaboi390

chaboi390 Newcomer, in training Posts: 83

build a car out of this and you'll got yourself a flying automoblie ! :D
  3. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

Would make great heatsinks... and maybe ultra light-weight sunglasses.
  4. dotVezz

dotVezz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 117

I want this, just so I can hold it (and squish it, because apparently it bounces right back).
  5. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,229   +314

That is some mind-boggling technology. The potential applications are absolutely endless.
  6. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,570   +41

Would make a nice mattress ^^.
  7. actually this is prety much usseless...
    the company that made this will end up as a patent troll, the technology is going to stand still in time because everybody will be ban by a court so... why waste our time...
  8. herpaderp

herpaderp TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 159

It was developed for DARPA you tit. Chances are, if it works as advertised and isn't prohibitively expensive to make, it'll end up in some military application at first, hopefully followed by civilian applications.
  9. quote:
    "It was developed for DARPA you tit"

what? it's developed by the others on the island?
    oh, wait. that was DHARMA.
    silly me.
    :)
  10. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 186

so many uses for this. but ill settle for a super comfortable pillow :D
  11. Sponge for my dishes; hope I will not eat to much metal ...
  12. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

It's fate will be in the hands of crackheads because it wastes less crack-cocaine than Brillo pad.
  13. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 384   +10

How is this really much different from any other honeycomb technique? Also, what's so special about using nickel for it?

Granted, it uses polymers and (oooh!) lasers. But seriously, folks, isn't it really just a thin-walled honeycomb material? I'm missing something here.

14. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 184   +6

You're missing that's its super light weight and for its structures returns to original form better then other composites.

My vote is for a sound proof light weight self erecting tent.
  15. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 384   +10

Thanks, @Emexrulsier - you're right, I did miss some of those implications. Since it's nickel, super light weight tracks to the extremely thin walls, so the need for laser precision also makes sense. Does the elasticity come from the super-thin walls, then? Regular honeycomb materials take a *lot* pressure to deform. I wonder how this thin-wall honeycomb compares.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.