TechSpot

New upgrades and having some red screen issues

By ihateme2
Mar 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hello,

Recently I upgraded my cpu to a amd 8350 no overclocking. Gpu to a gigabyte 7970 ghz edition. I did have 2 6950's intalled and no issues. But now any any attempt to play a game I can play 5-10 mins then I crash to a red screen then a total crash to restart. Gpus fans r working so rulled out overheating and the card should have enough power with my antech 1000 ps. Pretty sure its not the cpu since its running cool n can run cinabench with np. Anyone have any ideas on why I get red screens then crash?. Other specs: msi 990fxa-gd80 mobo. 8 gb of kingston hyperx ddr3 1600. Have water cooling on the fx 8350. Using stock cooling on 7970. All in a nzxt tempest case..

Btw had ccc drivers 13.2 installed and using windows 8 64bit. Tried to wipe my gpu drivers with driver wiper to put a fresh copy of ccc 13.1 instead of the 13.2beta but turns out doing so did lots of dmg n stuck in constant bsod on my pc now. So ordered a new ssd to put windows 7 back on and use current hdd as storage.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Red screens almost always point to graphics card or graphics drivers...

3. ihateme2

ihateme2 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Figured as much. Got my kingston hyperx ssd n just finished a fresh install of windows 7 n ccc 13.1 drivers. So far so good

4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

You should always uninstall drivers when migrating systems (even if it is AMD to AMD). Use this tool from when you upgrade to future drivers: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx
    Use that tool before you install future releases to eliminate errors in past drivers.

5. ihateme2

Ok ty. They r a fresh install of the drivers atm. But had another bsod using windows rating system. Didnt catch the error. Is there a way to look back and see what it was?

6. Jad Chaar

Yeah, it could be an error with your RAM. What type of RAM do you have? It may not be in par with your new CPU. You can view the error here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

7. ihateme2

I have
    Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX.

Just ran Cinebench with no prob, and got Gpuz up and Cpu-id running. looks fine atm

8. Jad Chaar

Those dont really stress your system (cinebench is for benchmarks, GPUz and CPU id are for checking info). I am not much of an expert on BSODs, so I will hand it over to tmagic, I Was gonna say run a memtest but I dont wanna make you run a test 7 times for nothing.