New USB 3.1 spec features symmetrical connector with reversible ends

By Shawn Knight
Apr 2, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. The UBS Implementers Forum has settled on the final design for the next USB cable and port. USB 3.1 Type-C was created with emerging product designs with smaller ports in mind and will deliver a number of improvements over existing...

Read more
    misor likes this.
  2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

Yay finally a USB that is tiny and both ends match :D
  3. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

They should just call it USB 4.0 since it is such a major change.
  4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,550   +594

GOOD. Think I've wasted about 3 years of my life trying to plug in USB connector's upside down. :p
    SalaSSin, BabyFaceLee and misor like this.
  5. Great, another goddamned cable that I'm going to have to carry around for three years before everybody has one.
  6. "cheaper and much more commonplace"

how could it be common place if its not out yet. It is a new shape.
  7. Nice,3.1 is coming out and I still don't have even one USB3 device,just the ports.
  8. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

For full effect, click here and do mouseover.
    BobNYC, lmike6453, amstech and 5 others like this.
  9. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,157   +195

not yet available but is already widespread... :)
    btw, I love the picture showing the difference between the usb 3.1 type C and usb 3.1 standard A
  10. Quickly, copy Apple again before anyone notices. ;)
  11. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 853   +352

Well, it will be nice. My 2+ year old galaxy note1, I've replaced the usb board on it three
    times from wearing it out and thinking I had the plug in the right way, and pushing too
    hard then realizing it was upside down. At least the replacement part is cheap and only
    takes about 5 minutes to replace.
  12. cartera

cartera TS Addict Posts: 276   +67

You Sir..... Just made my day, thank you.

It is about time they did this.
    BobNYC likes this.
  13. avoidz

avoidz TS Guru Posts: 456   +54

They should keep the same size connector but fix the ends so it plugs in either way. The smaller plug just looks weak and prone to damage.
  14. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

Yeah, right, cause Apple was the first to make a reversible connector. 25 years ago cars didn't have reversible keys. In fact, they often had different keys for the ignition and the doors. One day some 'genius' came along and made into one reversible key. I don't know who it was, but it wasn't Steve Jobs. :)
    misor likes this.
  15. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

Two of my cars ~35 years ago (Toyota & Ford) both had universal and reversible keys which fitted all the locks, in fact remote central lock was becoming the norm about 25 years ago.
  16. SNGX1275

@Skidmarksdeluxe - My parents had a 1993 Chevrolet 1500 truck, power windows, power locks, but still had a separate key for ignition and door locks..
  17. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

It probably was for any car approaching cool or modern. My family was lucky enough to own a giant Buick station wagon, and it had separate keys complete with only being able to unlock one door with it and then requiring the driver to lean across the car to let anyone else in. Maybe it was a GM 'feature'. :)
  18. SNGX1275

@MilwaukeeMike - With my above post, and your family's Buick, I bet it was just a GM thing. I had a 1983 Ford Ranger in high school, and I can't remember if it had 2 keys (door and ignition) or just one. If I can't remember, it probably just had one. How was GM at least 10 years late to the single key party?
  19. SalaSSin

SalaSSin TS Booster Posts: 135   +42

<GM bozo> 'Nah, Mike, it'll never catch on, that whole "one key to open'em all", watch my words!' </bozo>