New USB 3.1 spec features symmetrical connector with reversible ends

Shawn Knight

Staff member

redesigned usb usb connector

The UBS Implementers Forum has settled on the final design for the next USB cable and port. USB 3.1 Type-C was created with emerging product designs with smaller ports in mind and will deliver a number of improvements over existing cables and connectors.

Much like Apple’s Lightning connector, the new Type-C connector will feature a symmetrical plug so there will be no upside-down confusion when it comes time to plug something in – a common complaint with existing USB implementations. What’s more, the cable will be reversible end-to-end so it doesn’t matter which end attaches to what device; it’ll work all the same.

The connector itself is as thin as a micro-USB 2.0 connector and will likely replace the older style connector as well as the larger micro-USB 3.0 interface found in some devices like Samsung’s Galaxy Note 3.

Not all of the changes are cosmetic, however, as the USB 3.1 specification will be faster as well. The current USB 3.0 connector can transfer data at up to 5Gbps (bits per second) while the Type-C connector doubles that to 10Gbps. It’s still slower than the 20Gbps that Thunderbolt 2.0 is capable of but it’s also cheaper and much more commonplace.

USB 3.1 Type-C will no doubt compete with another new spec from the standards body: MA-USB. This wireless standard was completed last month and is compliant with USB 2.0, USB 3.0 and USB 3.1. Best yet, it doesn’t require any new hardware – just a driver update in most cases.

Of course, a wired connection like Type-C still has its advantages (like the ability to charge and power devices) so don’t expect wireless to kill off corded implementations anytime soon.

Type-C is expected to be completed by July and will show up in devices by the end of the year.

Permalink to story.

Great, another goddamned cable that I'm going to have to carry around for three years before everybody has one.

"cheaper and much more commonplace"

how could it be common place if its not out yet. It is a new shape.

Nice,3.1 is coming out and I still don't have even one USB3 device,just the ports.

Great, another goddamned cable that I'm going to have to carry around for three years before everybody has one.
standards.png

For full effect, click here and do mouseover. https://xkcd.com/927/

...but it’s also cheaper and much more commonplace.
not yet available but is already widespread... :)
btw, I love the picture showing the difference between the usb 3.1 type C and usb 3.1 standard A

Well, it will be nice. My 2+ year old galaxy note1, I've replaced the usb board on it three
times from wearing it out and thinking I had the plug in the right way, and pushing too
hard then realizing it was upside down. At least the replacement part is cheap and only
takes about 5 minutes to replace.

They should keep the same size connector but fix the ends so it plugs in either way. The smaller plug just looks weak and prone to damage.

Quickly, copy Apple again before anyone notices. ;)

Yeah, right, cause Apple was the first to make a reversible connector. 25 years ago cars didn't have reversible keys. In fact, they often had different keys for the ignition and the doors. One day some 'genius' came along and made into one reversible key. I don't know who it was, but it wasn't Steve Jobs. :)

Quickly, copy Apple again before anyone notices. ;)

Yeah, right, cause Apple was the first to make a reversible connector. 25 years ago cars didn't have reversible keys. In fact, they often had different keys for the ignition and the doors. One day some 'genius' came along and made into one reversible key. I don't know who it was, but it wasn't Steve Jobs. :)
Two of my cars ~35 years ago (Toyota & Ford) both had universal and reversible keys which fitted all the locks, in fact remote central lock was becoming the norm about 25 years ago.

Two of my cars ~35 years ago (Toyota & Ford) both had universal and reversible keys which fitted all the locks, in fact remote central lock was becoming the norm about 25 years ago.

It probably was for any car approaching cool or modern. My family was lucky enough to own a giant Buick station wagon, and it had separate keys complete with only being able to unlock one door with it and then requiring the driver to lean across the car to let anyone else in. Maybe it was a GM 'feature'. :)

@MilwaukeeMike - With my above post, and your family's Buick, I bet it was just a GM thing. I had a 1983 Ford Ranger in high school, and I can't remember if it had 2 keys (door and ignition) or just one. If I can't remember, it probably just had one. How was GM at least 10 years late to the single key party?

@MilwaukeeMike - With my above post, and your family's Buick, I bet it was just a GM thing. I had a 1983 Ford Ranger in high school, and I can't remember if it had 2 keys (door and ignition) or just one. If I can't remember, it probably just had one. How was GM at least 10 years late to the single key party?
<GM bozo> 'Nah, Mike, it'll never catch on, that whole "one key to open'em all", watch my words!' </bozo>

Back