New VGA card does not send signal to monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

liljosh74

l have just bought a new graphics card:

256MB 256 MB GeForce Gf Nvidia PCI Video Graphics Card

I turn the computer off, installed the card, and then when i swith the monitior to the VGA port of the graphic card, The monitor stays in stanby mode.
It never turns back on.
Even when i switch the Monitor to the computer, the monitor still doesn't turn onn

wht should i do???

Have you confirmed PCI-Express is enabled in system bios (cmos settings)

To get to cmos, you should see a prompt (for about 3 secs) when starting your computer, this prompt is usually DEL or F2 or some other (depending on your manufacture)
Once in cmos, make sure your video card is set to the correct setting (not onboard)

Refer to your manual
Or just go to cmos (setup or bios <- too many labels!) As I said above

You may want to reset the bios too (manual again!)

Also to view your display, you may need to temporarily remove your new vid card, then go to cmos.

Ok

So wht u are telling me is that i should go to cmos
and change the video card to something rather than (on board)
then i can reboot, and then install video card.

I Got It

Actually the graphics card that i was using is to new for my computer. They are not compatible with my computer. So does anyone has a link to where i can buy an older version of a graphic card. :)

BTW is this one old: PNY-Geforce-FX5200-256MB-Graphics

I haven't looked it up, but anything with 256Meg is not enough (on just about any good graphics game)

You will need to download your manual and confirm the specifications of your on board slot:
Here are some keywords, you will need to know
AGP or PCI-Express?
Multiplier?
Voltage?
Extra Power required? (on card)
Power required? (on power supply)
Width of new card?
Game or program compatability?

Most of these questions will be answered by reading your manual

Oh dear! PCI only

Well you could run this http://www.powerleap.com/downloads/exe/InSPECS.exe
Then select your video (once all the I accepts are done)
It will then give you a link to Video cards that you could update too.

By the way, why do you want to update your Video card anyway?
From updating your Video you may also need to upgrade your Power Supply, and you are putting more stress on your computer.
Not only that, you will be changeing the stock standard specifications of this Dell computer. (Hmm you may be better off updating the entire computer and selling this one)

HDD: 800MB

Minimum requirements
CPU: Pentium 3 1GHz or higher
RAM: 512MB or higher
VGA: GeForce MX or higher
Connection: 56k modem(dial-up) or greater

Recommended specifications
CPU: Pentium 4 1.6GHz or higher
RAM: 1GB
VGA: GeForce 2 MX or higher
Connection: DSL/Cable or greater

Ideal specifications
CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz or higher
RAM: 1GB
VGA: GeForce FX5900 128MB or higher
Connection: DSL/Cable or greater

--------

Put it this way, usually ideal means minimum.
Why is that?
Minimum (in my view) means you can turn everything on, and the game runs smoothly.
Your computer does not come anywhere near this (Nor will it ever)

ie You cannot play this game with your computer and a PCI graphics card.

Next!

wha

I cant play this game????

But i do play it now, its just that it lagggggssss way too much.

if u do say i have to buy a new comp.
can u give me a web to buy one that is not tht expensive

I took the info from here: http://phpbb.acclaim.com/9dragons/viewtopic.php?t=52&sid=f5b58928bb3204f01fb7d655cc477976

But regarding another system. It just so happens that there are members here that can help you with purchasing a more compatable computer, at whatever you could spend. Most members may direct you to newegg website, but you are looking for a builder.

I would suggest that you create a new post. " Can someone build me a good/cheap computer?"
And that you want the "Ideal specifications" specifications above.
No monitor, no keyboard and no mouse. Just the box, and Windows.

Sometimes you may not get any replies for a day, if this happens just reply to your thread with the word "BUMP" (Normally though, you should not reply to your own threads - so expect that doing this may cause others to be a bit attacking with replies like, we are busy!)

But this is your best option, I'll wait to see your post, and then subscribe to it, but not post on it (as I cannot help advise you on this)

Waiting for post... :)

edit:

I mean new thread

ok

well, than you for your help.

one question tho, do i have to pay them right after they build this computer or can i wait and see if i like it???

Free advice only, no payment required

By the way re-looking at the above, the minimum is too minimum.
I say core2duo with 2 Gig of ram, and GeForce PCI-Express 512Meg Minimum
At least!

Kimsland, your wrong on this one. I have a Deminsion 2400 and can play many games with a few upgrades.

liljosh74, you will need to buy a new power supply FROM DELL. Tell them you need at least a 250-300watt one. You need to buy 1 Gig of Ram from them . They will know exactly what you need on that, also.

The reason I say this is because:
Recommended specifications
CPU: Pentium 4 1.6GHz or higher - meet
RAM: 1GB - can meet
VGA: GeForce 2 MX or higher - can beat
Connection: DSL/Cable or greater -if you have broadband, your fine, of course.

When it comes to the Graphics Card, you should go with the Geforce 6200 here.

I am sure I am not the only one who will tell you this. Mine will work with Counter-Strike Source.

Also, PM Rage_3k_moiz about this to see if he can help you anymore. I am not 100% sure on this information, but I am almost certain you will be abe to.

TY

TYVM, i thought i had to buy new computer.

Now all i need is Power Supply and That Graphic card u listed right?????

Meh...

I am not so sure anymore..

Contact Rage_3k_moiz to ensuer that it will work.

Also, if it does work, everything will have to be on LOW, so you might be btter off building or buyin a new computer. Sorry!!!

kimsland said:
By the way re-looking at the above, the minimum is too minimum.
I say core2duo with 2 Gig of ram, and GeForce PCI-Express 512Meg Minimum
At least!
Complete BS. It's an MMO, so it has to be able to run on computers with lower-end video card, since that market segment is the largest in the world. Why would they want everyone to get Core 2 Duos and 8800GTs? That is, unless they were in bed with NVIDIA and Intel... A dubious arrangement IMO. ;)
As for you liljosh74, you'd be fine with 1GB of RAM. Regarding the video card, the FX5200 or the FX5500 is a great choice and will run that game (and many others) just fine on low-medium detail settings. If you're able to find one that has a 128-bit wide bus, like this one, it'd be best, but a 64-bit one would be okay as well if you are tight on cash. I don't know what part of the world you're in, so I can't make specific recommendations. But you will not need a new PSU for either the FX5200 or FX5500. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)
P.S. - Screw the formal tone. For all I know, you might just be older than me! ;)

Why would they want everyone to get Core 2 Duos and 8800GTs?
I'll tell you why.

This is because if you advise someone walking in the door to your shop, and they own a standard computer (no PCI-E and no AGP) low CPU ~ 2.4Ghz and low Ram and low power supply rating.
And they say they want to play games, then instead of updating their old computer, it would be wiser to update the entire computer to a gaming computer.
Why again?
Because if the customer actually goes out and purchases new ram and a PCI video card and their computer stops working a couple of weeks later (ie M/b and CPU) then who's fault is it? I would say the person who originally advised them!

Lets be clear about this, a gaming computer should not meet just one game specs that a customer will be bored of one day anyway. And should be way above ~2.4Ghz.

So not exactly complete BS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back