New video card causing sound problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I built my own pc about 5 years ago and upgrade certain parts now and again. I bought a new widescreen flatscreen monitor, only to find out that my old video card didn't support the widescreen mode (although it still worked fine for none widescreen modes). Anyway, I only have 1 AGP4x and my local shop only had AGP8x so I bought a PCI video card.

It worked fine and supported the widescreen modes perfectly. But then I tried watching a high quality video and the audio was distorted and clicky (it doens't happen with low quality video). I did some research and it seemed like it was a problem caused by IRQ sharing (the video and sound cards, plus a few other things all shared IRQ 5). After trying lots of different things to change the IRQs, I finally managed to do it by disabling my mobo's onboard COM, Parrallel, Midi and game ports. This resulted in my Video card moving to IRQ 11.

Unfortunately this didn't solve the problem at all. I even tried moving the Video card to a different PCI slot, because it was right next to the sound card and I thought maybe this would cause electric interference, but that didn't work.

The IRQ for the video card is still shared, but only with OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller (somat to do with my network card i think??), and the sound card's IRQ is still shared with SiS 7001 PCI to BUS Open Host controller, however, I can't see that it's really an IRQ sharing problem.

I also tried lowering the screen resolution, and trying different media players, but no help.
This problem isn't just with playing high quality video either. I was playing music on my media player whilst looking at a huge jpeg image in a browser, and when I scrolled down the image, the same distorted clicky noise was heard. (So basically, graphically intensive operations have an adverse affect on sound quality).

Any help would be muchly appreciated!

Here's the relative specs:
ECS Elitegroup My mobo is a K7S5A
Creative SB Audigy
PNY Geforce 6200 256mb nVidea
and a Kensington Value Mouse.

What processor are you using? It sounds like your system isn't strong enough to support the graphics quality you want to use

an AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.4Ghz

if indeed my system isn't powerful enough, is it just a case of a new processer..what kind should I be looking for, I know you can get Thunderbird 1.4's on ebay for very little.....or wud i need a new mobo as well? Do you think I'd get the same problem if I got an AGP4x graphics card?

Man, If only I didnt' go for widescreen, my old video card would have worked fine :(...hmm...could always take it back...

I agree, you're not going to get much out of that system if you plan on any gaming. It would be fine if you're just using it for email and word applications, but that's about it. BTW, what happens when you take the video card out of the slot? Does the sound persist?

BTW, what happens when you take the video card out of the slot? Does the sound persist?

Well, the sound is perfect using my old graphics card. And the sound is perfect using this new graphics card, it's just when something graphically intensive is going on that the sound has problems.

I don't play games, but I still want to be able to watch high quality video on my pc.

"I don't play games, but I still want to be able to watch high quality video on my pc"...

With your present system, I don't think this is possible. Sorry

"With your present system, I don't think this is possible. Sorry."

Well, I think it is...maybe not with this new video card, but I've been watching high quality video on my pc up until this morning. It's only because my new monitor is a ratio of 16:10 and my old grahpics card didn't support that resoluation that I had to buy a new one. My old graphics card supported resolutions of up to 1280x1024 (more than enough for me), and it also supported widescreen, but only 16:9.6, and my old video card worked fine with my new monitor (just not in widescreen mode), and i didn't get any of these sound problems.

Coincidentally, I've just turned off some of the "Hardware acceleration" so that directdraw is disabled on my nVidea control panel (under troubleshoot), and now I don't have this sound problem...however, now the video quality is a little jerky. Any thoughts?

many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back