New Video card creates a very loud beep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says, I recently upgraded my video card from a Geforce Fx5600 256 mb. I just got my new Geforce eVga Geforce 6800 GS and installed it into the Agp slot. After I turned the computer on, something gave out a very loud continous beep until I turned it off. The video card didn't boot up the monitor either.

I need to know what I am doing wrong here or the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Configuration:AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+, 2.08
Memory: . . . . . . . . .512MB (Now upgraded to 1 gig)
Hard Drives(s): . . . . .80.1GB, ST380011A
Bios & Motherboard. . . . . ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1Nvidia - 42302e31
Previous Vid card . . . . NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 (256MB)
New Vid card . . . . eVga Geforce 6800 GS (uninstalled)

Does the 6800GS require its own connection to the psu? Many newer cards do (but not all). Look at the very end of the card for an empty 4 pin connector slot. If it has one, you need to plug that in.

If that isn't the problem, then my next guess is that your power supply isn't up to the task and the beeping is it complaining. It is calling to you, asking you to replace it because your new video card is just too demanding.

What make is your PSU and how many watts is it rated at?

the PSU is an Atx Alienware 12V 420W.

Also there is in fact a 4 pin outlet at the end of the card. Gonna plug it up and see what occurs.

chkxdragon said:
Also there is in fact a 4 pin outlet at the end of the card. Gonna plug it up and see what occurs.

My guess is, we won't hear back from you again. After you plug in that 4pin, your new card is going to fire up no problem, and you will be off gaming for a few days enjoying the new card ;)

LoL true enough Don, works great now. I just fired up Oblivion and it just blew me away at what I've been missing.

Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back