New Video Card - Games not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackScarlet

With my old video card I was playing Doom 3 just fine, but I wasn't able to play FEAR.

I upgraded my system, including updating my card to NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT and doom3 launched once, but after that every time i launch it it says 'doom3 has encountered a problem and needs to close'
not only that but I can't launch 'stalker: shadow of cherynobyl' either, it never gets past the splash screen.

What's going on and is it related to my video card or what? Why would doom launch once but not again?

im just installing the latest drivers. i dont know if i already had them but i dl'd again and install and ill let you know what happens.
-
ok well i installed the latest driver and i rebooted and soon after i logged into windows i bsod'd.

restarted, havent had the problem yet, but if i do ill have to sys restore... dont know why that would have happened as I specifically selected the driver for the card i have...

gonna try the games now.
-
ok, tried the games, still not working.

in case you need this:
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
2048 Megabytes Installed Memory
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5K SE Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0401 07/19/2007
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT [Display adapter]
LGE T710BH [Monitor]
Realtek High Definition Audio

I had ati before this,
nothing was listed as still existing in add/remove, but to be safe i tried the ati cat-uninstaller, then i reinstalled my new driver. i didnt uninstall it then reinstall it, i installed it overtop again, hope that was correct.

no change.

is there anyway to use safe mode or msconfig to ascertain the problem?

ok, so, i tried uninstalling the latest nvidia drivers 178.24, and installing 175.19 to see if that was the problem, but that didnt fix it so i undid those changes.

Tried booting the doom3 up in safe mode and interestingly i got a process dialog window that i didnt get otherwise, and one thing it said was 'ERROR: The current video card / driver combination does not support the necessary features'
i dont know if this is because safe mode was operating so sparsely that the game couldnt run, or if it was touching on a larger issue. Ive heard that for some reason certain games wont work with certain cards, but it shouldnt be the case with my setup.

Back in fullmode, I tried to copy the information contained in teh optional error report, but i couldnt. however in event viewer i managed to pull this out of the application error log:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 21/12/2008
Time: 12:00:42 AM
User: N/A
Computer: BLACKSCARLET
Description:
Faulting application doom3.exe, version 1.0.0.1, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x7e4a0010.

Interestingly enough, STALKER failing to launch and only getting past the splash screen and crashing, doesnt log under event viewer. Also, when i tried launching it in safe mode, there was an actual error dialog that popped up that doesnt pop up in fullmode, but for whatever reason i couldnt pull it up to read it, it just had the outline of a window that said error but the inside was black.

Still wondering if there is a way i can use msconfig to selectively disable things to try to narrow the problem, but im really only familiar with the startup tab and dont really wanna **** aroudn with the rest of it without knowing what i am doing.

ok so i solved the problem. i uninstalled all games and all drivers, ran several driver cleaner programs in safe mode, rebooted and ran a chipset driver then my most current graphics drivers and reinstalled games and its all working now. thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back