New video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

chirag

I have a dell dimension 4600 with ATI 128md Radeon 9800 PRO AGP card. Unfortunately, the card has gone bad and is out of warranty (Since bought from DELL, ATI will not consider it under their 3 yr warranty). I have to buy a new card...can someone please advise me...as to which cards can I look at..that will work with my system...

Thanks
Chirag

im pretty sure ur PC has AGP8x slot only to upgrade from.. soo u will need to buy a AGP type video card.. do u have a budget?

Well I was looking at ATI X700 and X800 series or similar ones - prefer to be in 200 $ range.
I have a 250 watt PSU and most of the cards recommend a 300 watt PSU. The 9800 I had also recommended 300 watt...maybe that was the problem...any thoughts ?

Thanks

if your 9800 recommends 300watt.. then u will need more than that for a stable system if ur gonna upgrade to a more powerful video card. do u buy ur parts online or at a local shop? a good cheap upgrade for PSU would be the fortrons, I got a 450watt for 55$ CDN so i guess thats around 40-45 USD..

anyway about the video cards, the X7xx I think are only PCIe .. the X800s are all PCIe i think.. well for now atleast..

if your gonna be in the 200$ range.. why not go for nvidia? they offer many more choices for AGP boards.. the 6600GT is a good buy.. if not look for the new 6800GS .. not sure if thats AGP tho maybe someone can confirm that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back