TechSpot

New virus circulating FYI

By Mazrim
Aug 6, 2008
  1. I’ve just received information regarding yet another hack/malware/virus attack that several have seen today. The subject of the message contains “CNN Daily Top 10 Email”. This email message contains a very nasty virus. So far, the user’s that have opened the email have machines that are immediately infected to the degree that they're unable to recover the system without performing a zero-fill format to their hard drives.

Just thought I'd throw this out there as a heads-up, a couple friends of mine got this and called me about it. If this is in the wrong forum, let me know.

Regards,

Maz

2. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TS Evangelist Posts: 3,908

your in the right place - if they see another copy of it - please have them forward it to me - you can get my email address by clicking my name here on the forums

3. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

For IE7 Outlook Express users, hit Read Mail, Tools, Message Rules, Mail, New and create a new rule that blocks by virtue of Where the Subject Line Contains, eg, 'Daily Top 10' (no quotes) and you should be OK.

4. Mazrim

Mazrim TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 113

Will pass that on, thanks!:)

5. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,393   +107

Watch out for C-SETUP.exe it can remove everything on your desktop and load it's own desktop with security icons and change the wall-paper to one that saids you're infected..

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.