new vista usb problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradman666

Hi, I am sure that this has been asked before. I am having problems with usb devices and my new vista home premium. I have a belkin usb hub attached. Some devices such as my dlink wireless adapter and an external hard drive are fine. Other such as generic usb sticks and my card reader are not. I am told that I need install a driver and then that windows cannot find one. Strangely sometimes they do work! It is an abit ip35-e motherboard. I have tried deleting most of the usb references in device manager (hard because it keeps on re-installing them) and using the abit flashmenu utility to update bios (it says it is already up to date). Any advice very gratefully received.
Matt Bradshaw.

The problems are in your Belkin and your devices, and are well known. Not in the VISTA USB, and not in the Abit. You do not need any drivers. Just get rid of cheap usb memory modules, and the Belkin, which varies in quality from month to month. Belkin does not build its own stuff, but rather buys it from a number of sources... quality varies from month to month.

you may be right but...

I am sure you are right but, every single one of my usb drives is not recognized whether I plug it into the belkin or not. The are all different makes and work fine under xp etc. Are there makes that are recommended?
Thanks again, Matt.

So the only consistent difference is VISTA? How many devices are we talking about with "everyone"? Brands & Model? For other situations, I could buy it, but not for USB, unless you just have a bad board.

"I am told that I need install a driver and then that windows cannot find one." Who or what tells you this?

With Belkin it is usually drivers and firmware. I guess we assume you have downloaded any updates. The problem is common with certain Belkin units.

Since this problem seems to relate to the motherboard, I would use the free Everest to inventory the board, then look at both Abit site and the component manufacturer web site for updates to Chipset, BIOS, etc. Then I would download and update every driver. I would also see if Everest shows that each component has been detected and reported. When you use Everest, how are these devices reported... is the name the same on Everest as it is on the device.

The problem does not seem to be reported elsewhere for that board, so maybe your board is defective. Have you tried these components in friend's VISTA computer to see if the problem is typical, or unique to your hardware?

You might try posting this difficulty on the Abit forum.

"everyone"

I am sorry what do you mean by "everyone"? Does that mean you are quoting me? The message you refer to is the one (paraphrased) that flashed up on the screen. I will search for an abit board.
Many thanks, Matt.

My error. Sorry. I was referring to, "every single one of my usb drives is not recognized whether I plug it into the belkin or not." I was hoping it might be helpful to know where the problem lies by looking at the hardware devices.
As for Everest, Lavalys EVEREST Home Edition is a freeware system information, system diagnostics you can find at www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/everest-utility.html - 29k -
and several other sites.
Good luck. It is a good mystery for the rest of us. Please report back when you figger it out.

broadcast?

Many thanks, raybay... I will continue on my quest. I see you are a broadcast engineer. I am an editor! Small world.
Thanks again, Matt.

Only a very small amount of research reveals that this is a widespread and well known Vista bug. I have decided to revert to xp since I can. I have tried the various suggested solutions to no avail..
See you in a few months/years.
Matt.

One last question:
The problems seems to be limited to laptop motherboards of various Sellers (HP, Toshiba, Sony VAIO, Alienware, etc., and may be a hardware more than a software problem) rather than to a general problem with VISTA.
Is your computer a laptop?
Whatever it is, your return to WXP should be the fix that works.
Please keep us informed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back