New Windows 7 and Windows Live commercial is worth watching

Emil

Over on the official Windows Video YouTube channel, the latest commercial from Microsoft is actually worth watching, even if it doesn't attack Apple. The ad is titled "The Future of Technology -- Windows 7 + Windows Live" and is receiving quite a bit of praise on the Internet.

The 127 second ad gets its point across very well: Windows 7 and Windows Live are easy to use. Unlike most advertisements, it actually shows the software in action on several devices, including an ASUS laptop with the LifeCam Studio 1080p webcam, the Windows Phone 7-powered Samsung Omnia HD, and a Pegatron MasterPad tablet computer.

While the ad is certainly well executed, it is not unique. The palindrome poem concept has been around for ages, and advertisers use it every once in a while when length isn't an issue. If you want to see other ads like this one, check out these: one, two, and three.

Permalink to story.

Very nice advert really... now Microsoft, make it so that I can connect to XBOX/GFWL by not needing to play a game, just browsing so I that can chat just chat to my LIVE friends =P

I've always wanted to be able to do this, even if you can only chat to one person at a time(joining parties would be THE best).

This is a complete rip of of an advertisement used that talked about the environment (if I recall correctly), it aired about 2 years ago in Australia, and used the EXACT same method and approach of delivering it's message. It talked about the travesty of what humans are doing to our natural environment, and how in ten years 'blah blah' would be gone etc. etc. Then upon reversal of the text, the ad displayed how we can stop our destruction etc. etc. - just the same as this Microsoft ad..

I can't remember what it was called off the top of my head, if I find it on YouTube I may post it back here later. Microsoft has directly copied the creativity by the ad, with the reversal of the words to paint a brighter picture. Anyhow, my days about to begin! No time to be looking up old ads on YouTube just to prove my point just yet!

Who gives a rat's caboodle if they copied the strategy? It's one that works, why not use it? It's not like they claimed to be the first ones to use it or anything. Do you know how many commercials use the same strategy? (the new T-Mobile MyTouch4G vs iPhone 4 commercial come to mind, which is a direct ripoff of the PC vs Mac commercial)

I'm not trying to step in and defend MS here, i'm just pointing out the blatant obvious. It's a good ad...why can't ya just leave it at that?

Wow! At least this is the first time I see this type of advertisement and I can say I loved it, everything clicked like legos and I dont mean about the writting, its the pictures, the music, everything just clicked together.

2 thumbs up!

Well they got to do this to enlighten you to the product which is Windows 7. How else are they going to get you motivated to stand-up and say "i want to be more productive and I can be with Windows 7 behind me!" As for the Tablet yes Windows 7 Embedded Tablet due out in 2011 should change the way we have use the computer from workstations (in the office), desktop (at home), laptops and netbooks. The the tablet is what we all want either from Apple or from Android then soon Microsoft. This is where we're going and that's all folks!

matrix86 said:
Who gives a rat's caboodle if they copied the strategy? It's one that works, why not use it? It's not like they claimed to be the first ones to use it or anything. Do you know how many commercials use the same strategy? (the new T-Mobile MyTouch4G vs iPhone 4 commercial come to mind, which is a direct ripoff of the PC vs Mac commercial)

I'm not trying to step in and defend MS here, i'm just pointing out the blatant obvious. It's a good ad...why can't ya just leave it at that?

Well stated matrix...+1

Geezus Guest, solipsistic much? That method has been around for a lot longer than 2 years. you assume because its the one YOU saw, it must be the first one? get over your self.

Microsoft users seem so easily beguiled by blatant plagarism. Just like Windows 7 is an admittedly blatant rip off of Apple OS X.

They also seem to enjoy paying huge prices for minor OS updates.

Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade -> 220$

OS X Snow Leopard Upgrade -> 29$

"There's a sucker born every minute" - P.T. Barnum

@Guest
I am tired of such stupid remarks to such extent that I don't feel the need to post links anymore, but if you are any smarter than an ant, I am sure you can just use a search engine to find what Apple have copied into their OS from windows. So instead of posting useless and pointless remarks, contribute with something substantial and 'factual'. And do I need to tell how much Apple over-charge on various offerings which sort of pretty much covers their expenses with regard to software upgrades?

LOL. The future of technology. Is that a Polaroid camera behind that laptop?

Guest said:
Microsoft users seem so easily beguiled by blatant plagarism. Just like Windows 7 is an admittedly blatant rip off of Apple OS X.

They also seem to enjoy paying huge prices for minor OS updates.

Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade -> 220$

OS X Snow Leopard Upgrade -> 29$

"There's a sucker born every minute" - P.T. Barnum

And that sucker is you.

Archean said:
@Guest
I am tired of such stupid remarks to such extent that I don't feel the need to post links anymore, but if you are any smarter than an ant, I am sure you can just use a search engine to find what Apple have copied into their OS from windows. So instead of posting useless and pointless remarks, contribute with something substantial and 'factual'. And do I need to tell how much Apple over-charge on various offerings which sort of pretty much covers their expenses with regard to software upgrades?

I agree. How about we petition to have the guest comment feature removed.

I didn't like the advert. I am very disappointed at wasting bandwidth off this mobile broadband connection. But I watched it non the less so in that sense the advert worked.

Good to see the marketing team doing a fantastic job. I'm not exactly a fan of Microsoft, but this ad really got my attention.

Microsoft stealing ideas left and right. This is nothing new, a similar one was used by a publishing agency or something. And that one was much more profound.

"How about we remove the guest comment" says the gaddafi loyalist desperate to out the identity of Govt rebels, so that the death squads can be sent in? Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but that day will come, when you want to comment about the inanity of govt policy AND THE GUEST COMMENT WILL BE GONE!
Oh How I weep at your naivety.

On another Note : Windows Seven is still too expensive, and why are people still keen to get a 10 year old OS, "Microsoft, Tear down those Prices!" as PR would say.

Back