New Windows 7 Upgrade Program - Does Anyone Know If 32-bit Only, 64-bit Only, Both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savage1701

I see the pre-order for Win 7 today. I would buy the Win 7 Upgrade as a pre-order but can't tell if these are 32-bit installers, 64-bit installers, or both.

Does anyone know?

thanks.

Ask the vendors. There are 12 listed by Microsoft so far.

Adds received here only relate to 32 bit Home and 32 bit professional.

But they are taking orders now, so somebody must know.

Ray - that's the first thing I did. Even the MS website does not specify Win 7 version, unlike Vista which it clearly labels 32-bit, 64-bit, both (Ultimate).

You'd think someone would know, wouldn't you? :) Amazon no better.

From a news report at Infoworld:

"Specifically designated PCs that are pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Business, or Windows Vista Ultimate may qualify for an upgrade to the equivalent Windows 7 product," a Microsoft representative said. Similarly, in some markets, retail-packaged Windows Vista software products (sold separately from PCs) may also qualify for an upgrade to the equivalent Windows 7 product.

Manufacturers, or OEMS, and retailers may charge a nominal stocking or shipping fee pertaining to the arrangement.

"Negotiate with Microsoft. "Everything's negotiable, but if you don't ask, you don't get.

"Estimated retail prices fore the full packaged Windows 7 product in the United States range from $199.99 for the Premium edition to $319.99 for the Ultimate variant. Upgrade pricing for Windows 7 ranges from $119.99 for the Home Premium edition to $219.99 for the Ultimate product.

From the Microsoft Site, it looks like 64 bit is included:

Participating retailers Country: United States

Costco.comBest BuyAmazon.comOffice DepotTigerDirect.comMicrosoft Storenewegg.comSamsclub.comFry's ElectronicsOfficeMaxWalmart.comQuill
System requirements

1GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1GB RAM (32-bit) / 2GB RAM (64-bit)

16GB available disk space (32-bit) / 20GB (64-bit)

DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor can help you determine which features and editions of Windows 7 will run on your computer; visit the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back