New wireless modem and still no connection to the Internet

davbell22602

New wifi wireless modem. The new modem saying that I'm connected to the secure connection in the house. But for some reason that doesnt compute with windows. I got yellow ! for wireless connection in windows.

I got yellow ! for wireless connection in windows

Do you mean you have a yellow warning against the device in Device Manager, if so then the drivers are not installed for the wireless adapter or are you referring to the icon in the taskbar.

What modem, what wireless adapter and what OS do you have?

Do you mean you have a yellow warning against the device in Device Manager, if so then the drivers are not installed for the wireless adapter or are you referring to the icon in the taskbar.

What modem, what wireless adapter and what OS do you have?

Linksys E1000 router, gsky ultra high power usb wifi adapter 802.11n and yes referring the icon in taskbar. Windows XP

Follow this short guide so I may be able to see what the problem is.

Click on Start and then Run, type cmd into the Run box and hit Enter. Then type the following at the command prompt and hit Enter. (Use copy and paste to enter the command to avoid any mistakes)

ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig.txt

You will not see anything appear, close the cmd box.

Go into Windows Explorer and open the C: drive, you will find a file called ipconfig. Double click on it and then copy and paste its contents into your next pòst.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : david-9b4f57f43

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 802.11n USB Wireless LAN Card

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-43-A4-F3-24

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.80.79

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

This is not set up correctly, the Default Gateway is missing.

As this is a new Linksys router it should have been supplied with a Cisco set up disk, try using that and see how it goes. If you have not got it, it should be available from the Lynksys site.

You mean the linksys router isnt setup right. Thats how the geek squad setup it up from best buy back in december 2010. Plus he set up with secured connection.

Use the setup disk. Or, lets get the facts right, has this ever worked and only just failed?

Yes the wireless modem works on a unsecure connection from someone else's connection. Just cant get it to work on the secured connection in the house. We 2 other PC on wireless connection working just fine and 1 PC on wired connection working fine also.

OK, as you are only having trouble with this one PC what you will have to do is, on one of the working PC's log in to the modem and disable the security. Then run the set up disc on the problem PC which will get it connected and allow you to reset the security. Lynksys set up discs are extremely easy to follow.

There is nothing wrong with the router set up the problem is your one PC will not connect to it because of the security, hence the lack of Default Gateway address. Run ipconfig /all on the other PC's and you will see the difference.

If you do not know how to log into the modem then simply hold in the reset button on it for 20 seconds and it will clear all the security settings. The button will require a thin piece of wire like a paper clip to operate it.

So will I have to redo the secure connection when doing this? That reset button is on back of the PCI slot card or where referring to reset button on the router?

So will I have to redo the secure connection when doing this?

Yes, this is a simple process if you use the Cisco disc or did the Geek Squad keep the disc?
You should be able to download for free from the Linksys site, it will save you a lot of bother and possible mistakes.

That reset button is on back of the PCI slot card or where referring to reset button on the router?

Yes, the one on the router.

Still no workie after reinstalling the router. Is there something I should change when I log on to the router settings?

I keep mentioning the setup disc and in my last post I made a point of asking if you have the disc. Do you have the set up disc?

I get the impression you were not given it.

Go back to the supplier and get it. Then you should get somewhere. Geek squad, as I have heard don't have the best reputation so don't be talked into letting them charge you to come and fix the problem. A setup disc is supplied with every Linksys router so they are obliged to give it to you.

No, But I download the setup drivers and it wont take it cause I dont have xp service pack 3 on the pc with no connection. I havent used it seen replacing the harddrive.

I just edited my last post so please read it all. You NEED to get the disk.

What setup drivers, you only need drivers for the wireless card in your PC you don't install drivers for a router. If you are referring to setup software then that is different. You should get this PC updated to SP3 as SP2 is no longer supported. Can you get a connection, having reset the router, using an ethernet cable.

I have the disk for new wifi wireless usb. I'm too far away for a cable. So your saying reinstall the drivers for wifi wireless?

Ok, I reinstall the wireless wifi using the microsoft zero config. Still cant connect to the secure network.

"Windows was unable to find a certificate to you on to the network"

I don't think you quite understand what I am getting at here.

You don't need to worry about the wireless card in the PC. What you need is the setup disc that you should have received with the new router, go back to the shop and get it. Use the disk and your problems will be solved.

Yes, that is the easiest way to resolve your problem, simply follow the guide on the disc.

Problem fixed. Had to return that cheap chinese wireless adapter to amazon and get linksys/cisco ae1000 wireless adapter from best buy and install the cisco connect on the main computer. Then use setup key to connect to E1000 router. Thanks for help.

Plus there was no updated drivers available for it either on the cheap chinese one. The drivers were from 2009

Hi
Above IP from your laptop, this mean private IP from the computer.

your computer doesn't receive any IP from DHCP ,
Can you try to using fix IP

let me know if still not working

Hi
Above IP from your laptop, this mean private IP from the computer.

your computer doesn't receive any IP from DHCP ,
Can you try to using fix IP

let me know if still not working

Read post #21

Back