TechSpot

New XP Install but without Floppy Drive??

By SinFloppy
Mar 15, 2005
  1. Hi there everyone,

This is my first post on your forum. I have been having increasing amounts of problems with my portable PC and have decided it is best to do a rebuild.

Have done a few rebuilds in the past but always with a floppy drive available. I think my XP CD will load a new operating system from the CD drive but I want to format the hard drive, and I dont know if I can do that without a floppy to boot from?

Do you think I am going to be able to do this?

Thanks for any help.

Kg

2. dopefisher

dopefisher TS Rookie Posts: 540

you can boot from a cd as well. floppy drives are a thing of the past. you just have to make sure you can boot from whatever cd you use.

Hello and Welcome to Techspot :angel:

3. SinFloppy

SinFloppy TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks Dopefisher,

Do you know if I am going to be able to do this from a normal xp cd or am I going to have to make a bootable cd myself with the neccesary system files on it? This is where I am stuck. I dont know if the xp cd will enable me to manually format my drive??

Ta,

Kg ;)

4. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

XP CD's are bootable and you can create partitions, delete partitions and format them from the CD.

5. SinFloppy

SinFloppy TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks a lot guys,

I'll see how I go.

Kg

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.