TechSpot

New York attorney general wants tech companies to help fight cellphone theft

By Jesse
May 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. In letters to Apple, Google, Microsoft, and Samsung, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman has put out a call to work on a solution to the growing issue of smartphone theft. In them he asks what each is doing to...

Read more

2. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Yea, legislation from New York to help people... by violating their civil rights of course! Let's have 24/7 monitoring of every cell phone location and microphone and video for Homeland Security and Law Encroachment officials. State + Corporate = Fascism

avoidz and cliffordcooley like this.
  3. I can only infer that you prefer to be bashed and robbed.

Awesome choice.

4. highlander84

highlander84 TS Member Posts: 99   +21

I fail to see how this is violating civil rights...It will simply lock out said phone (vie serial number) WHEN its reported stolen so it essentially becomes useless as a phone... That being said... I think it would prove even better to prevent access to the phone and prevent people from simply entering recovery mode and resetting the phone. However, most people I know do not enable device security so a lost or stolen phone is easily accessed. I have personally never had a phone stolen or lost. Something about paying several hundred dollars for something and then not looking out for it? Seems a bit careless.

Jesse likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.