New York City to retrofit 250,000 street lamps with LED bulbs

By Shawn Knight
Oct 25, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg and Transportation Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan recently announced plans to upgrade the city’s 250,000 street lamps from traditional bulbs to LEDs. The transition, said to be the largest LED retrofit in the country, should be...

Read more
  2. t3chn0vamp

t3chn0vamp TechSpot Booster Posts: 146   +19

Good move.
    MID.AS likes this.
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,061   +1,179

Congrats New York!

Now if my low populated, piss poor, lost in the boondocks town would get wise and do the same. We might need 250 for the whole town.
    MID.AS likes this.
  4. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Addict Posts: 758   +153

So how much are they spending on maintenance and energy costs without the LED bulbs?
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,182   +509

Since when did wax candles & gas street lamps become obsolete? :)
  6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,061   +1,179

I honestly don't know but to make a funny out of it. It may not be much if our dog catcher is the one that replaces them.

Unlike New York (hearsay), we wait until the bulbs burn out before replacing them. Places like New York have contracts were the bulbs are replaced at specific times regardless. Which increases maintenance cost but at the same time puts a little order in having maintenance crews spread out across the map.
  7. Logic Overflow

Logic Overflow Newcomer, in training

W00t! What the city should do is get the MTA to do the same in the subway. There are some stations that have LED lights, which makes the station much brighter, but others still use fluorescent lighting which not only has to be changed more often, but doesn't brighten up the station as much either.
  8. mctommy

mctommy Newcomer, in training Posts: 73   +9

Some of the neighborhoods in our city has changed them and they are darn bright! And nice and white too!
  9. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 742   +14

They last 20 years? They said those flourescents last 5 years. I've seen them burn out in 2 weeks.
  10. What do they do with the old bulbs?
  11. avoidz

avoidz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 452   +53

I hope they don't use those LEDs that I've seen burn out in about six months. Made somewhere cheap in China no doubt. 20 years, my ***.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.