New York governor orders probe of TWC over massive nationwide outage

1. Time Warner Cable suffered a major Internet outage yesterday, with nearly 80 percent of the company's subscribers waking up to no Internet service. The company, which is the second largest Internet provider in the country with around 67 million total...

Read more
  2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,936

Now what does the FCC do with the $1.1 million paid to them for absolutely nothing, treat their staff to a burger and Coke at McDonalds (if they're lucky) or blow it on an extravagant vacation for the execs and their families?
  3. insect

insect TS Evangelist Posts: 315   +114

Uh... math fails?

So was it 80% affected or 11.4m of 67m affected (~17%)?
  4. Realist

Realist TS Rookie

TWC does phone, cable and internet individually as well as grouped. So out of the 67 million, 11.4 million use the internet feature, and 80% of that was affected.
  5. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,291   +55

Make it a bigger company so when it's out the entire nation is out. Actually, that's how att uverse is. And it's out, tv, internet, and phone, about once a week sometimes for five hours.
  6. LOL.

The service was out for a mere 1.5 hours during the early morning hours, and the governor is complaining saying that the people require a service that is working. I'm sorry, but at least 95% of the entire population of the US is asleep between the hours of 4:30am and 6:00am EDT.

That governor is a complete *****.
  7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

So that results in 80% of 11.4 Million, which is 9.12 million people.
    So we are looking at 5% of 9.12 million, which turns out to be 456 thousand people.

Tell me again how the governor is an ***** to ignore the needs of a half million people. I think you should keep your mouth shut, because in this case it makes you look like the *****.
    wiyosaya likes this.
  8. ThanosPAS

ThanosPAS TS Enthusiast Posts: 40   +9

I don't see how this could affect the proposed merger. On the contrary, if blackouts persist it could even be used as a argument to merge! "Let us merge, we cannot provide the quality of service we want to our customers, let us consolidate the industry, improve our footprint, make system and sub swaps (thus being better able to fund the all digital transition). We will be more reliable and everyone will be happy"...
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  9. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Maniac Posts: 929   +238

And you must be a TW troll.

Living in NYS and knowing of TW's questionable practices such as slamming, and "bargaining" with Netflix for access to their network, I think the Cuomo is making a sound decision. TW + Comcast = "bad for every internet user" IMHO.