New York governor orders probe of TWC over massive nationwide outage

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Time Warner Cable suffered a major Internet outage yesterday, with nearly 80 percent of the company's subscribers waking up to no Internet service. The company, which is the second largest Internet provider in the country with around 67 million total users, confirmed the outage in a tweet.

According to a company spokesperson, a problem during routine maintenance triggered the outage, affecting TWC's 11.4 million high-speed data subscribers spread across 29 states. The problem started at 4:30 a.m. ET and connectivity was largely restored by 6 a.m. ET.

DownDetector, a website that offers a real time overview of outages based on user submissions, was tracking the TWC outage, showing a heat map of the affected areas.

twc outage time warner cable network

Although the problem seemed most prevalent on the east coast, complains were pouring in from other parts of the country as well. Coincidentally, the outage occurred just a couple of days after TWC agreed to pay a $1.1 million penalty to the FCC for failing to properly report multiple network outages.

While Internet outages are common, this one may prove costly to TWC, as the company is in the middle of an effort to merge with Comcast in a deal valued at $45.2 billion.

Bloomberg is reporting that Governor Andrew Cuomo has directed the New York State Department of Public Service to investigate the outage as part of its review of the proposed acquisition. “Dependable internet service is a vital link in our daily lives and telecommunications companies have a responsibility to deliver reliable service to their customers”, he said.

Permalink to story.

Now what does the FCC do with the $1.1 million paid to them for absolutely nothing, treat their staff to a burger and Coke at McDonalds (if they're lucky) or blow it on an extravagant vacation for the execs and their families?

Uh... math fails?

... nearly 80 percent of the company's subscribers waking up to no Internet service. The company, which is the second largest Internet provider in the country with around 67 million total users ...
... affecting TWC's 11.4 million high-speed data subscribers ...

So was it 80% affected or 11.4m of 67m affected (~17%)?

Uh... math fails?

... nearly 80 percent of the company's subscribers waking up to no Internet service. The company, which is the second largest Internet provider in the country with around 67 million total users ...
... affecting TWC's 11.4 million high-speed data subscribers ...

TWC does phone, cable and internet individually as well as grouped. So out of the 67 million, 11.4 million use the internet feature, and 80% of that was affected.

Make it a bigger company so when it's out the entire nation is out. Actually, that's how att uverse is. And it's out, tv, internet, and phone, about once a week sometimes for five hours.

LOL.

The service was out for a mere 1.5 hours during the early morning hours, and the governor is complaining saying that the people require a service that is working. I'm sorry, but at least 95% of the entire population of the US is asleep between the hours of 4:30am and 6:00am EDT.

That governor is a complete *****.

Uh... math fails?
TWC does phone, cable and internet individually as well as grouped. So out of the 67 million, 11.4 million use the internet feature, and 80% of that was affected.
So that results in 80% of 11.4 Million, which is 9.12 million people.
I'm sorry, but at least 95% of the entire population of the US is asleep between the hours of 4:30am and 6:00am EDT.
So we are looking at 5% of 9.12 million, which turns out to be 456 thousand people.

Tell me again how the governor is an ***** to ignore the needs of a half million people. I think you should keep your mouth shut, because in this case it makes you look like the *****.

I don't see how this could affect the proposed merger. On the contrary, if blackouts persist it could even be used as a argument to merge! "Let us merge, we cannot provide the quality of service we want to our customers, let us consolidate the industry, improve our footprint, make system and sub swaps (thus being better able to fund the all digital transition). We will be more reliable and everyone will be happy"...

Last edited:
LOL.

The service was out for a mere 1.5 hours during the early morning hours, and the governor is complaining saying that the people require a service that is working. I'm sorry, but at least 95% of the entire population of the US is asleep between the hours of 4:30am and 6:00am EDT.

That governor is a complete *****.
And you must be a TW troll.

Living in NYS and knowing of TW's questionable practices such as slamming, and "bargaining" with Netflix for access to their network, I think the Cuomo is making a sound decision. TW + Comcast = "bad for every internet user" IMHO.

Back