Newbie computer fan question

Cetrax

Hello I just purchased a HP Pavilion HPE h9-111ot Phoenix cto desktop pc. The motherboard is a Pegatron IPISB-CH2 motherboard. It only has two fan connectors on the motherboard which are in use. One for the cpu and one for the case exhaust. Shouldn't it have more than that? Also I bought a extra fan and it came with adapters but I still could not find any power leads that fit it coming from the 600 watt power supply?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks..
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]

What kind of connector do you need for the extra fan? I'm sure you can get an appropriate adapter for it. Do you have any free power connectors from the power supply? If so, what kind?

I do have free sata connectors, 2, 4, and 6 pin connectors? What are those for? But no molex 4 pin or anything like that. Would a splittler cable off of the mother board work for plugging two fans be my best option.

It is my understanding that the 4 and 6 pin connectors are for pci but why do I need so many of them?

6 pin connectors are for PCI-E and the 2 pin could be for combining with the 6 pin to make an 8 pin PCI-E. The 4 pin could be for a floppy drive or, depending on the connector configuration, ATX 12V for the motherboard. I'd have to see it to say for sure. A splitter as you described would work just fine.

Hi, If you have the 4 pin molex plug/socket on the end of your new fan lead, the idea is you unplug a power plug to a DVD drive, (for instance), plug the fan into the power socket of the DVD drive, then plug the original power plug into the back of the new fan plug /socket. So you are 'pinching' some power from the DVD drive, as normally you won't have any extra 4 pin molex plugs spare form the PSU. ( I think this is what you mean !)
I found with some of mine that I had to file or sandpaper the corners off of the new fan connector to make it fit the socket on the DVD drive. About 0.5 mm or less.

Back