Newbie needs help with BSOD x7E Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artzdelux

Hi all,

I got the following stop error on my laptop last night: 0x0000007E (0X86AE4E7A, 0XF7A497B0, 0XF7A494AC).

I am not sure what could have caused it. I did not install any new software (to my knowledge) and run virus and malware scan often. All I did was after use close the laptop lid. Once I went to use it again, it rebooted itself repeatedly but did not load into windows before the BSOD came up. I am unable to get into Windows regardless of the mode (safe, last working ,etc).

I am somewhat familiar with computers but not programming/ repair. I’ve looked around on a couple sites and boards but there is so much information out there I have no idea where to even start. Can anyone tell me:

What this error could be?
What step(s) I should take to diagnose/ correct?

It is a Sony Vaio, about 3 years old. I don’t have the system specs.

Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Here is your error with definition: 0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

As you can tell it can be anything causing your error. Do you know how to run memtest?

I have booted into dos through the repair option with my XP cd. From there I have run chkdsk /R /P as well as burning and running 7 passes of memtest. Chkdsk was run twice, and both times it found and fixed errors. Nothing was found with memtest.

What should I do now?

First, how long did you run Memtest, i.e. how many Passes? The minimum is 7.

I also suggest running a harddrive diagnostics by utilizing the free utility from your harddrive manufacturer. You should be able to get it off their website. Run both short and long tests.

I ran memtest for about 9 passes. I will find my hardrive manufacturer, find the test and run.

Question: where can I find the manufacturer of a laptop hard drive? Is there somewhere in the BIOS or do I have to take the hardrive out?

Thanks.

I ran chkdsk 3 times, the third time it did not find any errors. I am still unable to log into any verision of Windows XP (safe mode, normal, most recent working, etc).

What should I do now? I am thinking about trying Xubuntu or Ubuntu, or running the Windows Repair.

To answer your question on the harddrive you can either open up your system and physically look or download and install a nifty little free utility that is quite safe called SIW (System Information for Windows).

It will give you all kinds of information about your system including the make of your harddrive. Just look under the hardware list and then for storage devices. it should tell you the manufacturer.

If you find it then run a harddrive diagnostics first before a Windows repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back