Newbie PC build no power to keyboard/mouse, no output to monitor

hey
well i am new to this lark, but i decided to build a pc without knowing really what i was getting myself into :)

okay, so i haven't got it working as of yet, no power to keyboard or mouse, both usb, and no output to monitor. lights and fans all come on though? so that means there must be some power?

i have removed everything but the mobo, psu, cpu and screen/mouse.
also, have 2 processors and it doesn't work with either
the motherboard was sent back to the supplier to check for faults but it works fine apparently.
No video cards or anything like that.

I'm at a bit of a loss really

like i said i haven't even got it working yet!

help much appreciated

jamie x

complete specs would be nice; it would give us an idea of what hardware you're using. it could be something as simple as an underpowered PSU or faulty RAM. make sure the processor is seated correctly and that the memory sticks are properly clipped into place.

hey, erm i am only using one ram, tried them both, doesn't work with either. erm do i just read off the stuff on the cpu? what are you looking for?
erm the mobo is an asrock k10n78, as i said, no hdd plugged in, no video cards or anything.

cant even get to the bios screen :(

cheers
jamie

Things to check:

1. That the 4 pin ATX connector near the CPU is connected correctly.
2. That the 20(4)pin connector is connected correctly and fully home.
3. The CPU fan connector is connected to the correct cpu_fan header.
4. The CPU is held in place correctly with the cpu cooler. There should be no movement of the cooler and it should be firmly locked down.
5. Confirm that you applied thermal paste (if it didn't have paste pre-applied on the cooler).
6. Install both RAM sticks as directed by the user manual for the motherboard.
7. Confirm the BIOS version of your motherboard (its on the motherboard)
8. Tell us the exact CPU your using. It will be printed on the box the CPU came in.
9. Reset the BIOS using the method as described in your motherboard user manual. Do NOT power the computer on until you have completed this step fully.
10. Confirm the power headers are in the correct places. Locations are in your motherboard manual again.
11. Try starting it again and see what happens.

1. i don't have a 4 pin connector to put in it? haha, guessing i need a new psu?
2. checked
3. checked
4. done
5. thermal paste was applied
6. done

8. AMD athlon 64 x2. i dont have the o.g box but that is what it reads on the cpu

This is the 4 pin ATX connector, which your PSU and motherboard will have:

atx12v.jpg

ahh there wasn't one of those from the psu!
i used an old psu you see,
just bought another one :)

do you think that will solve the problem?

thanksss :) you've been a real help!

jamie

Back