Newbie question about MBM5 and ASRock P4V88 MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I just finished building my first computer, and I have a question about the "Motherboard Monitor 5" program. I installed it today, to keep track of this furnace of a processor I have, it's a P4 3.0 GHz. I am using a "ASRock P4V88" Motherboard. Basically, what I would like to know, is how can I tell for sure if I have the right senors connected. I tried to find the information from MBM5 itself, but my motherboard is not listed. Here's the sensors I am currently using.....

Sensor 1 "Winbond 1" showing 32C Currently
Sensor 2 "Winbond 2 Diode" showing 43C Currently

If I were to change sensor 2 to "Winbond 2", the temp jumps up to 87C..... :eek:

I would appreciate any help, in this matter. I just want to make sure, that I have the correct temps showing, so I don't cook my first build........ ;)

Thanks........!!!!!!

Go into the BIOS and see what temp the hardware monitor is showing. Then go into Windows and run MBM and just try each sensor until its gives the closest temp. MBM ddoesnt work with my Asus board though.

vegasgmc said:
Go into the BIOS and see what temp the hardware monitor is showing. Then go into Windows and run MBM and just try each sensor until its gives the closest temp. MBM ddoesnt work with my Asus board though.

I appreciate the reply......... :grinthumb

That is actually what I did....... :haha: My BIOS was showing me at around 48C, so I went with the closest number. Though I did start out at 48C a few days ago, I have added some Arctic Silver 5 between the Processor and Heat Sink, to help cool it down some. I'm figuring I might be in the Neighborhood of the right temperature, just wanted a second opinion. When I first started my build, it was at 53C, so I knew I had to cool it down. Of course, the 4 Case Fans didn't hurt either........ :giddy:

Thanks again for the help.......

Asrock P4v88

I am running that board and have been for about 5 years. I've had no trouble so far. I did however replace the stock cpu cooler on my P4 2.4 Northwood with an Antec performance for the 478 socket. At idle it runs 29C and loaded it gets up to around 38C. This is a side mounted fan and I have it sending the hot air out to the exhaust in back. I have never gotten MBM to work on it, so I use Everest Ultimate Edition. It gives information on everything and has an OSD.
As far as overclocking this board, if you run the FSB up it runs the PCI and the AGP as well making for some instability in 3D games. I noticed a loss in FPS when I went up just a little bit. Other than that, it is a good board.
Just a little FYI from a current user

I understand its nice to have a reliable temperature monitor, but I wouldn't worry about it too much if you can't get the exact matchup you are hoping for. In reality the only time you really need to be concerned with processor temps is if you are having slowdowns (like CPU throttling) and or instability problems. So many people get too caught up in temperatures, it really isn't that big of a deal. Sure it may decrease hardware life, but how many computers have you used until the processor died of old age?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back